Harvard supplement- Books that have affected you the most

eyo 1 / -  
Hi! Would you please edit my essay for clarity of ideas and grammatical functions. Do you think it reveals me more? I was thinking that it is kind of off topic,though I understand that the topics are flexible, what do you think of it.

The quetion is: books that have affected you the most. Or would you rather I use it for the space on additional information? Thank you very much. I'm really in need of a honest point of view.

READING

Books have always been my best friends. There is nothing like curling up in bed and getting lost in my world of books where everything is in black and white, but sometimes in a shade of grey. In contrast to some book-lovers like me, I don't have a study desk. And it took me almost sixteen years to have my own room where I can have that much sought solitude to commune with my "friend". Nevertheless, my typical reading spendre is lying down in bed with an array of books- school books, intellectual books, spiritual books, motivational books- surrounding me. My bed is always in glorious disarray with books strewn all over but I love it. It is simply paradise to sleep, eat and do just anything without leaving my companions for once. On several occasions my granny would come in the middle of the night to find me still reading; she would then say "ha!, you are in love with these your book".

It wasn't an easy task reaching a compromise with my granny. In the early years, she just couldn't bear the thought of me reading while she prepares her wares for the next market at the nearby village. But I have grown to understand her and apply suave persuasion. I now know how to wangle my way, but not until I've completed my own share of the task at hand.

I have abroad interest as is reflected from the books I read. I tried to analyze where this love stemmed from, and I discovered that as the only granddaughter living with my grandparent I have just few friends. So I learnt how to keep myself company and entertain myself. I don't get bored when I'm alone thanks to my books, yet I value very much the companionship of my few friends. Since TV and computer are luxury which I was not fortunate to have in my home, reading which began like an unavoidable option became a fulfilling and educating way of life- an insatiable passion.

Although my books collections are limited because of my living in a very small town, I make do with what I have. I don't believe in lamenting in my predicament, but in making judicious use of whatever opportunities that comes my way. I could remember spending monetary gifts, pocket money and personal savings on textbooks, motivational books and others that catch my interest. Then it taught me how to persuade an unwilling lender to borrow me books which I made sure I handle with care, because I do not like offending my friends. I also get some by employing my city-dwelling school mates to get fairly used books for me when resuming after vacation.

Whether it is a trivial like "The African Child" or a major like "Think Big", there is no boring moment with my books as I know how to savor the enjoyment. I used to have a book-devouring replica of a friend; one of the most memorable moments I spent with her is for discussing books, authors or characters. We would spend minutes relieving the joy of this great hobby of ours. In order not to exclude our less-interested friends from this shared passion, we devised a way of storytelling some of our most interesting reads, thereby improving our communication and entertaining skills.

I have an unusual soft spot for writers such as: Ben Carson, Chinua Achebe, Peter Abrahams, Francine Rivers, Charles Dickens, and Sidney Sheldon ... I wasn't an art student in secondary school but I made a point to read every assigned literature texts. My love for the language and my overall roundedness are motivations for doing this. And I always reap the fruits of this labor as I'm never short of inspirations in my essays and compositions. The dedication and perseverance it took me was a priceless asset, for example, finishing a book in whole twenty-four hours without sleeping.

Oh! There is an exhilarating feeling that comes with learning a new thing. That aura of mystery, followed by comprehension, then absorption, and finally application is what makes the process an exciting one. A particular topic in Economics that I studied at in-depth was "monopolistic control". After I have spent some couple of hours on it, the principle lent itself to my understanding and I was able to apply it in new ways. I discovered that the public corporations are monopolistic in their mode of operations, yet the "power authority", for example, couldn't perform efficiently... Those revelational hours are like invaluable treasures. I don't keep them all to myself; I make sure I share them with someone else, and I discovered that I gain more by doing this, for the principle got to stay permanently. I would love to be in an environment where my passion for reading, for learning will be fuelled, where I would be able to interact with people of like mind, intellect, and interest.

The same way I derive pleasure, knowledge, inspiration, and motivation from books, I also derive challenge. The preparation for the SAT, the college admission and application have redefined for me the meaning of challenge. As if it is saying "you think you are precocious enough for this? Then give it a try". And try it I will. I will also succeed because the books are there to give the necessary driving force. They are my best friends so they won't hide any information or knowledge from me. And they would be there with me to see me through my college years.
ldh8504 8 / 16  
superb. I can heard your voice. However, if you intended to stick to the given topic, maybe you could have gone over more details about some books you introduced shortly.
qianmeimei 3 / 14  
Overall i think you wrote well.

from you essay i can see you really really like reading, but maybe you need to use more specific details and examples. i think if you pay more attention to the effects that the books bring to you, how the love of reading shaped your values.. it would be better.

I am an international students in China, so i am sorry i cannot give you more help on language and grammar.

Good luck with your application~

Home / Undergraduate / Harvard supplement- Books that have affected you the most