Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My heart was pumping like it never had before; Yale engineering

sarthakjain 19 / 58  
Hello, I am posting a yale engineering essay : "2E). If you selected one of the engineering majors, please write a brief essay telling us what has led you to an interest in this field of study, what experiences (if any) you have had in engineering, and what it is about Yale's engineering program that appeals to you." please comment on its content, quality or grammar and please be harsh in your assessment.

My heart was pumping like it never had before. I was typing faster than I could think as I programmed Business Software problems in the final round of the 2013 Global Skills Challenge in Australia .Even though it was May , the beginning of Australian winter, I was sweating from the adrenaline coursing through my veins. All of my passion was pouring out through my fingers and onto the screen before me. Despite the tax on my body, I was exhilarated. Whether I am coding for a simple visual that reads "Hello World" or developing business software for Indian Ministry of Finance, solving Computational problems always gives me a sense of euphoria.

Three years before, in my junior year, I discovered that programming was not just fun; it could be extremely practical. When I visited my local hospital to get treated for a cold, I was floored by seeing hundreds of people waiting in line for hours to see one of the two doctors present. I found myself thinking of applying what I had learned about neural networks in an online class to develop a system for automatic recognition of diseases based on symptoms. After approaching my Computer Science teacher with the idea, I developed it into a thesis and presented it to Delhi University. I planned to use their resources for further enhancements. The lack of adequate research facilities and skepticism about high school level research led to my project being rejected.

Instead of becoming disheartened, I became more determined than ever to use computer programming to solve these real-world health problems. Considering my passions, Yale would be the best place for me to pursue Computer Science. My imagination runs wild when I think of what I could accomplish with the advanced technology available at the Center for Computational Vision. Also, I would also be honored to conduct research alongside Professor Martin Schultz on his projects involving machine learning. Courses like Computational Vision and Biological Perception would integrate my interests in medicine and computer science, while the "Zoo" would give me a place to collaborate with other undergraduate CS students and make new friends over pizza. Yale's interdepartmental collaboration, smoothly integrated in a liberal arts education, assures me that I will supplement my knowledge of computer programming with knowledge about language and culture. Also, the diverse community and international exposure through Yale education would certainly help me in knowing people from far and wide I hope to use all of the knowledge I take from Yale, combined with its B.S./M.S. program, to complete my education earlier and begin supporting my family through my career.

Yale's engineering program will build me into a person who can attack both complex CS problems and social problems head-on. I believe that Yale is the only college where every day will give me the same thrill I felt solving problems in Global Skills Challenge and imagining Safdurjang Hospital's patients receiving treatment faster. I believe that Yale is the only college for me.")

Thanks in advance

Home / Undergraduate / My heart was pumping like it never had before; Yale engineering