My heart was thumping as the plane hurtled down the runway, on the way to Europe

nik18 3 / 3 4  
Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
I still remember the day my heart was thumping as the plane hurtled down the runway, on the way to Europe. I was eight years old when my parents sent me on my first flight alone. In the moment I was terrified, I was about to be away from my parents for a whole month in a foreign country. While it was scary at first, I learned a lot of valuable lessons from the experience that have helped me become the young, confident adult I am today.

While I was escorted to the gate by flight attendants, I started to feel nervous since it was the first time that I would be away from my parents for an extended period of time. As soon as the plane was racing down the runway, I realized there was no turning back. Traveling by myself gave me a sense of being independent. This trip taught me to never be scared of the unknown because good things can come out of them. It also made me more comfortable doing stuff on my own as an individual. Even though this was only one event, it was a turning point in my life; from this point on I was given even more responsibility from my parents. That responsibility helped me learn from my mistakes; it also helped me become confident in who I am today.

This experience I have been given taught me to never miss out on opportunities just because I am scared or nervous, because sometimes things really are only a once in a lifetime opportunity. Since then I have been more open to trying and experiencing things I would otherwise be too scared to do, like jumping off a thirty foot cliff into fresh water in Cuba. I have fully taken advantage of opportunities not just things that are fun, but academic opportunities as well. For example, I have taken almost every science class that my school offers. While some of these classes have been challenging it has given me the opportunity to learn how to keep on going when the going gets tough.

My family, and my mom especially have always had high expectations for me. She was never scared to give me more freedom than most kids my age because she believed that I would be able to handle it. I realized with that all the freedoms that I was given there was also responsibility and that I would have to be able to accept the consequences from my choices. Even though my mom trusted me with a lot of responsibility, I still made mistakes, but the most important thing was that I always learned from my mistakes.

All the responsibility my parents have slowly been giving me over the years has prepared me for the future when I am off living on my own. The time when I flew by myself was the turning point in my life when I started to become an individual. One of the biggest lessons I take from this experience is "Carpe Diem," seize the day. To me this means to take every opportunity I am given and live in the moment because nothing in life is guaranteed, except death.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated the word limit is 650 I am at 562
nkp28 1 / 20 1  
... I was about to be away from my parents for a whole month in a foreign country which country? . While it was scary at first, I learned a lot of valuable lessons from the experience that have helped me become the youngI would stay away from juxtaposing young and adult, it negates the meaning of growing up in a way? , confident adult I am today.

[...]

Home / Undergraduate / My heart was thumping as the plane hurtled down the runway, on the way to Europe