Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Help an aspiring engineer get to Georgia Tech - Crowdfunding Essay

JuanSebastianR 23 / 63 37  
Hello EF team,

I hope this finds you well. The following essay is an essay to raise money to pay for school. I have friends and family who are willing to donate, but I also want to share my story to others. However, I want to essay to be concise and to portray who I am. Please help me and give me any feedback. I will use this essay along with pictures to share my story, and hopefully be able to raise money to aid my education. Thank you for helping me.

Start:

Hello everyone. My name is Juan Sebastian Rubio, and I recently graduated from Broward College with Highest Honors and a 3.95 GPA. On May 2nd, I received a letter of acceptance from Georgia Institute of Technology (GT) to continue my studies. My passion for math, science, and physics led me to choose a career as an Aerospace Engineer, and my dream is to work alongside top aerospace companies to push the limits of space exploration. As you know, pursuing this dream will be costly, as GT is one of the top of the universities in the country, and it is my hope to avoid as much student debt as possible. My reasons for setting up this college fund is so I can attend GT by using the funds for tuition. If you would like to help, you can do so by making a contribution in the top right corner of this page.

For those of you who don't know my story, I came to the United States with my siblings back in 2002. My mother noticed we had better opportunities here than in our home country, Colombia. In order to make ends meet, my mother worked cleaning homes to make ends meet. Thus, at a young age, I saw the need to provide for my family, so I began working at the age of 14. In 2009, I graduated high school as the top 5% in the class and acquired two scholarships, but not having a permanent residence impeded me from continuing my studies or accepting any scholarships.

After four years of waiting, I received my permanent resident card and began my studies at Broward College. From the very first day, I valued been inside the classroom and was grateful that I could learn something new. I dedicated most of my college career working full-time whilst going to school and achieved high grades in every course. My professors quickly noticed my eagerness to learn that they began giving me extra time for tutoring. In 2014, I received an Outstanding Accomplishment certificate from the math department at BC, nominating me as a student with great potential. This charged and motivated me to start a math study group at BC, which was long standing for a year and a half. In the group, I was in charge of scheduling meetings, mentoring, and tutoring students. I helped peers succeed in math by teaching them my techniques of success, and I also inspired them by showing them the options of attending better universities and encouraging them follow their dreams and curiosities. I now have two friends who are still professors at the school, whom are now my mentors; and I have secured strong friendships with the group's members.

Now, here I am, ready to go to Georgia Tech to further my education, become a professional, and advance in life. My plan is to use all of GT's resources to help me succeed by participating in internships with aerospace companies, do research work on propulsion technology, and hopefully, to mentor other students who were once in my shoes. My reasons for this is because I saw many students struggle in college, and some of them did not have the courage to pursue their dreams either because of money or life problems. But I want to share my message with the Hispanic community, immigrants, and the world at large: That no dream is unattainable. Attending this university will help me spread that message further, and I intend to start a group that encourages other underrepresented students to attend universities like these that provide the best education, and money should not stop them from doing so.

I once had many limitations and did not think I could make it far in life. However, that has changed, and I am now more focused than ever and ready to dedicate my life to learning and where I can help others succeed. All of my experiences in life, the people who I have met, and the hardships I have encountered, have taught me to be strong when problems arise, and to take charge and move on when life is not perfect. I am ready to begin my career at Georgia Tech, and I hope you will help me achieve my dream.

End.

Home / Undergraduate / Help an aspiring engineer get to Georgia Tech - Crowdfunding Essay