Home / Undergraduate % width Posts: 3

Help with UWaterloo AIF Part A (Applying to Computer Eng.)

angrypanda 1 / 1  

application essay for uwaterloo

Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit)

My foremost reason for applying to Waterloo computer engineering is because of the exceptional co-op system. The experience I'll gain from coop along with my academics, can help me reach my goal of becoming a hardware engineer and set up the foundation for my career. Waterloo also offers technical electives on topics such as computer architecture, and embedded computer systems, which will strengthen my interests in hardware development. Through these electives, I can build a stronger academic backbone, which I can later apply through co-op, where I hope to get placements at Intel or AMD. Apart from my interest for computer hardware, my decision to pick Waterloo CE was pushed by a desire to improve the livelihoods of those around me through technology. And at Waterloo, I know I will receive both the education and experience I need to do so.

One at a time.

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,892 2170  
Aside from the commonly referred to co-op system of Waterloo, can you think of anything else in terms of your academic goals and technical aspirations that you can include in the essay. I am just afraid that the co-op system may not be strong enough of a reason for choosing the university because all the students applying already use that reason. The more unique your reason, the more out of the box your response, the better your chances that you will present a remarkable response to the prompt. Try to make your answer different in a way. Why not try to change it up by indicating your strengths as a hardware developer and how you plan to improve your skills using the program? It will at least show an alignment of your academic interests, technical know-how, and other related goals with the current offerings of the university.

There is a part of your response that doesn't tie-in with the discussion: a desire to improve the livelihoods of those around me through technology. I believe this interest is misplaced in the response unless you can explain how your activities and learning experience at Waterloo will help you fulfill this plan. By the way, "and" is a connecting word, you cannot start a sentence with that term. I suggest you rephrase your last sentence if you plan to use it in the revised version.
OP angrypanda 1 / 1  
Thank you for your comments, I'll do my best to work your suggestions into my essay

Home / Undergraduate / Help with UWaterloo AIF Part A (Applying to Computer Eng.)