How has your heritage affected you?

ky2010 2 / 2  
im not finished but any comments is much appeciatiated
How has your Heritage affected you?

Growing up as an Asian in a predominantly white community was not easy. As a daughter of immigrants from China, I endured many harrowing experiences as a minority that I wish I never had to go through. Many of these experiences can be attributed to the lack of cultural awareness and diversity in my community. As a result of my experiences, it has strengthened my resolve to be proud of my cultural roots and to educate my peers.

In elementary school, it was common occurrence to be teased by my classmates because I was Asian, making new friends seemingly impossible. My classmates would mock me by asking me to speak in Chinese, and mock my language with jeers of "ching chong." To make it worse, I had to overcome my lack of command of the English language, which only brought on more teasing. Middle school and High school were no different. One of only a handful of minorities in my high school of 1000+, the lack of diversity in my school was painfully obvious. By joining the Asian-American club, I was able to surround myself with friends with similar backgrounds, and the desire to promote cultural awareness to the student population.

My Chinese heritage has influenced me not only because of the hardships I experienced as a youngster, but also because of my parents work ethic. As restaurant owners, I have seen the blood, sweat, and tears my parents have shed to give me and my sisters a better life in the US. It is my hope that I can bring this sense of ethic with me for years to come.
smallick13 - / 26  
u should clarify and write more. how long can it be?

suspended for giving useless feedback
OP ky2010 2 / 2  
300 words
As a daughter of immigrants from China, I endured many harrowing experiences as a minority that I wish I never had to go through. ------ this is a sentence where we were able to cut some words without reducing the meaning of the sentence.

As a result of my experiences, it has strengthened I have become stronger in my resolve to be proud of my cultural roots and to educate my peers.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / How has your heritage affected you?