High school - the time when I learned most about myself and discovered the type of person I am

itzvt 1 / 2  
Prompt:
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

Most people would say that your years of high school is where you'll learn most about yourself and discover the type of person you are based on the people you surround yourself with, and in my case it was true. My first three years of high school so far have been the most influential years in my life. Because my school is set in an urban area, most people that go there associated themselves with drugs or gang related activity. In most days, I would have to make decisions that could ultimately dictated my future because there would always be question that could potentially ruin my life if I agree to it.

Ironically, experiencing this type of risky environment had not weaken me, but made me stronger. It encouraged me to surround myself with positive people. My friends at school are an intellectual bunch and we are always competing with each other in every class through intellectual debates and the effectiveness of our work. This competition largely develops me into becoming a better student because it forces me to focus on the importance of education and ignore the nefarious activities that are available from other students.

More often than not, we would often conversant about our future goals and how we can make something of ourselves. Their goal of a higher education and a prestigious career has really inspired to find out what I want to do for myself. The most defining moments that have shaped my career aspiration was during a biology class in school. The goal of the class that day was to dissect a frog so my friends and I made a bet on who could get the task done fastest and efficiently. At the end, I was the first one who finished first with all the anatomy of the frogs taken out correctly. After that day, I have taken into consideration of aspiring to become a Bio-medical Engineer because I had gain a great interest in the functions of the anatomy and the use of medical instruments.

Despite the negative activities that surfaced around my school, I learned to avoid them and surround myself with a group of people who share similar dreams and goals as me. Along the way, I have really found a future that I want to pursue and the career that I want to have. Instead of taking the easy way out, my high school years had really taught me to work hard and focus on the beneficial aspect of life rather than to take into consideration the negatives that surround me.
SeniorPeach2015 2 / 3 3  
After that day, I have taken into consideration of aspiring to become a Bio-medical Engineer because I had gain a great interest in the functions of the anatomy and the use of medical instruments.

Your essay does a good job of giving us a glimpse into your world. You can add in a little more personal feelings like in the sentence above, expand on what you felt inside you that day that shaped your interest. Was it the inner curiosity that fueled your interest? Or the sense of knowledge in knowing how the instruments used can repair a broken part of the body...etc.
Most people would say that your years ofin high school is where you'llyou learn most about yourself and discover the type of person you are based on the people you surround yourself with,your personality, and in my case it wasisvery true. My first three years ofat high school so far have been the most influential years in my life.

Because my school is set in an urban area, most people that go there associated themselves with drugs or gang related activity. In most days, I would have to make decisions that could ultimately dictated my future because there would always be question that could potentially ruin my life if I agree to it.

Well, I don't see a strong link between the previous sentence and the above sentences. You need to bridge that gap to achieve a better flow for your answer.

Home / Undergraduate / High school - the time when I learned most about myself and discovered the type of person I am