'Hispanic culture / Medicine / Jewish Men' - NYU Supplement

khajee 1 / 2  
1) WHY NYU?

It is two in the morning, I am at Rocco's Bakery eating a slice of apple cheesecake with my friends, and in a few hours I will hop on a plane to study abroad in Madrid. How is this possible you may ask? Three words: New York University.

I come from a small Farm town in Hawaii, where the coolest thing you can do is explore decrepit plantations. Going to a school where the city literally is the campus, will not only be the the most exciting adventure of my life but will also offer so many opportunities. I can Intern for a company in Times Square, then head to the Bronx to become "KhaDJay", the beloved radio host, sharing my music and personality with the city.

I Have been fortunate enough to travel. I have found that touring another country is the best way to learn, maybe not calculus, but by immersing in a new culture, you learn much about yourself and the world around you. NYU knows this, that is why they let you choose from 13 global programs. I plan on studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. My moms side of the family are native Spanish speakers, while I can understand the language well, I can not speak fluently. I will come back from my time in Spain with a broader intelligence in academics and the hispanic culture. The best part however will be visiting my Abuelito and finally being able to have a genuine conversation with him.

I take my last bite of apple cheesecake at Rocco's, and head out the door
Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

2) Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

I love vaginas. That being said, being accepted into New York University's College of Arts and Sciences would be the ideal step in becoming an Obstetrician/Gynecologist.

Once I decided that I wanted to become an OB/GYN, I began taking measures to better my chances at attending a top university. I was able to set up an internship in the OB/GYN department with Dr. Dimrchi at the local Kaiser Permanente Clinic. I shadow Dr. Dimarchi, participate in daily patient visits and have observed multiple surgeries, including a Caesarian Section. My internship has been both an incredible learning opportunity and funDUS (the top of the uterus, a little obstetric pun humor for you)

I know I will fit with NYU's College of Arts and Sciences well known Pre-professional training in medicine. I plan on taking full advantage of the program's small seminar-like classes, award winning professors, and the undergraduate research. The undergraduate research, which as The College of Arts and Science states: "puts students in direct contact with the distinguished scholars and scientists on our faculty who are advancing the frontiers of knowledge" This quote ignites me because I have learned through my internship that the best way to learn is a hands on education. Studying at The College of Arts and Science will give me this education as well as the knowledge to pursue my OB/GYN aspirations.

3)What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

Jewish Men intrigue me, more specifically, David Andrew Samberg. I hope you find this comedic and not creepy, after all, I am simply answering the prompt.

You see, I yearn for a Jewish man more than twice my age-I can only dream that he is not only fond of spinning the dreidel, but also of robbing the cradle. I know, I come of bit sick. I have become notorious for being: "that girl who is obsessively in love with the fellow that raps 'IM ON A BOAT' and who regularly imitates obnoxious people on Saturday Night Live.

The men I have an interest for are held up to high standards, all centered around Mr. Samberg, the most important of these standards is intelligence. Andy is much more than a bro with a fro. Load any of his comedy sketches or digital shorts on your computer and you will see each one is a cornucopia of ingenuity.

I see my lust for Andy as not only a future relationship but also as a future political statement. I come from a Muslim family and while I do not practice Islam, I do have the features of a Muslim. Andy, with his strong nose and coiled locks of hair, is a man of Judaism. Together, Andy and I would be an exemplary multi-racial couple, as well as a possible end to the extreme hostilities between the Islamic and Jewish people. The United Nations will be green with jealousy.

Some say my thoughts are a tad deranged, I prefer ambitious.
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
Okay. Your second and third ones are reaaaaaaaaaaally inappropriate. I think you tried to put some humor in there but it definitely did not work! They were really funny from a teenage standpoint, but an AO would probably not be so accepting (no pun intended). Your first one has a good concept, but you need to execute it better. Sorry :/ Please check out my common app one. Thanks!
OP khajee 1 / 2  
HAHAHA, thanks. i thought it might have crossed the line. what about the first?
carochoi 3 / 22  
the first one is very good. you might want to be more specific about certain classes or programs you might decide to take at NYU.

as for the other ones, the second one starts off very risky, and it doesn't show that you know a lot about the program. the third prompt is a bit odd and the admissions officers may not interpret your words the same was as you do. try tweaking it so it's more appropriate. ask an adult or a teacher to read over it.
OP khajee 1 / 2  
I shall change the beginning of the second one! i thought it would be bold, guess it just comes off gross. THANKS!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Hispanic culture / Medicine / Jewish Men' - NYU Supplement