History: NYU and Brown anticipated majors

medelman2010 11 / 31  
Hey,

I had to write to different anticipated major pieces. If you could look over them and give me some edits/ suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

NYU (500 char)- 497 at the moment

My favorite class of my high school career was AP US History. I loved not only the challenge of the work, but also the material we learned. I had never really appreciated history before, but APUSH was different, for the first time history came alive for me. I would like to continue studying history. When I graduate college, I plan to use my knowledge in history to help me practice law; I believe that understanding the past is essential toward understanding and analyzing the laws and of today.

Brown (1000 char)- 1,155 at the moment

My favorite class of my entire high school career was AP US History (APUSH). I loved not only the challenge of the work, but also the material we learned. I had never really appreciated history before APUSH, I associated it with my brother grilling me on past presidents at the dinner table or a dull professor pontificating for hours on the bills passed in 1892. But APUSH was different, for the first time history came alive for me. I read my textbook as if it was a novel, interested in every detail, in the people that inhabited America before I did. I would like to continue studying history, with a focus on the United States. With a concentration in US history, I can delve even deeper into the richness and intrigue of history. I make connections between what happened in the past and how it informs the present and the future. When I graduate college, I plan to use my knowledge in history to help me practice law; I believe that understanding the past is essential toward understanding and analyzing the laws and society of today. Thus, studying history will be both intellectually stimulating for me and an ideal background for practicing law.

Thanks again!
OP medelman2010 11 / 31  
Thanks for your suggestions, they were really helpful!

Hows this for a revised NYU one,

My favorite class of my high school career was AP US History. I loved not only the challenge of the work, but also the material learned. I never really appreciated history before, but for the first time history came alive for me. As a result, I would like to continue studying history. In doing so, I can delve deeper into the richness and intrigue of history. I plan to use my knowledge in history to help me practice law; understanding the past is essential toward analyzing the laws of today.

Thanks
invisiblewriter - / 6  
love it !!!! Its short and sweet, as cliche as that may sound

Good Luck!
Jo11 1 / 2  
I like the NYU short piece, but you seem to state the word history a little too much. Try to see if you can use the thesaurus to make the statement a little bit richer using various words.

Home / Undergraduate / History: NYU and Brown anticipated majors