I need to hit harder. Move faster. Kick higher. Be greater; Common App

ivyleague 3 / 7 1  
please, be brutal. I need this to be as close to perfection as humanly possible.

--

At my petite height of four feet and eleven inches, I know I am not the first person you would expect to train in takedowns and sparring methods, but I do it. Since starting karate, I push myself out of my comfort zone and past my limits. I need to hit harder. Move faster. Kick higher. Be greater. Although martial arts it not a team sport, my karate friends and I treat each other as a family. The dojo is my home.

Yet, when my instructor suggested that I teach children's classes, I shied from the concept. Working as a teenage girl without a black belt, persuading children to perceive me as an authority figure proved to be quite challenging. With every class, however, my confidence increased as I realized that my school's principles validated that I deserve respect. Now, I teach entire classes by myself.

Overall, karate has showed me that I have value. I have no need to play a passive role in my life and simply allow things to happen to me. Instead, I fight back.
At my petite height of four feet and eleven inches, I know I am not the first person you would expect to train in takedowns and sparring methods,

Good start .... interesting : )

I need to hit harder. Move faster. Kick higher. Be greater.

Awesome !

Although martial arts it not a team sport, my karate friends and I treat each other as a family. The dojo is my home.

Although martial arts is not a team sport, I found my second family at the dojo and it is such an amazing experience of brotherhood.

, I shied from the concept.

I shuddered at the thought.
qasderwdw 9 / 36 1  
I'm sorry, but what is a dojo?
Would the admins know what it is...?
OP ivyleague 3 / 7 1  
I thought it was common knowledge that "dojo" is a karate school...BUT, if not, I'll change it so it will be clearer. Thanks so much, both of you!
I'm sorry, but what is a dojo?

I thought it was common knowledge that "dojo" is a karate school...BUT, if not, I'll change it so it will be clearer.

Would the admins know what it is...?

Well.... dojo is in usage and I knew about it. and ivyleague gives the correct definition for "dojo" ....However, I guess your admission committee too would know : )

And also I believe it is better to keep the word in your answer rather than removing it.

however, my confidence increased as I realized that my school's principles validated that I deserve respect.

Why do you mention "school's principles" as the validation?
Isn't it your hard work and commitment deserve the respect you earned?

Home / Undergraduate / I need to hit harder. Move faster. Kick higher. Be greater; Common App