'a hole of discouragement' - Purdue Application (How To Overcome)

PGates 1 / -  
Prompt: Write intro and title to your autobiography...

----

How to overcome.

I was born in a hole of discouragement. Where I was born nobody every left, nobody ever became anything other than a failure. My parents, victim to this pit, did not wish that life upon me. When I was born they made a promise that they would send me out of this place. They wanted to give me the life that everyone here longed for, the life that was so far gone. This city is revered for being the gateway to the American Dream, the path to prosperity, but that is only on the outside looking in. Everyone lived in poverty, nobody had more than they needed and nobody kept what they needed for long. At a young age I realized that to get out of this city I had to become more than just another face, I had to become an example for all those who shared my hopes to follow. My teachers, my peers, my ignorant observers thought I was just another naĂŻve kid hoping to leave this accused place. They saw me like they did so many others, young, filled with hopeless dreams, and a soon-to-be broken spirit. At that point my desire to leave was only overcome by my desire to prove them wrong, to prove to everyone that I was different. As I hoped, my life there did not go unnoticed, when I entered my senior year of high school I had already made good on my promise not only to those around me but to myself as well. I was not only accepted into college, I was also given a scholarship, something unheard of for a kid like me. My college life was the complete opposite of my city life, I was surrounded no longer by those who simply accepted and embraced failure, I was among those who strived to make a difference in not only their lives, but the lives of others as well. I took every opportunity to stand out; I tried especially hard to place well in competitions. I loved my work; it was so amazing to create something out of my imagination. I quickly realized that the skills I possessed were in high demand; companies loved people like me, ambitious, intelligent, and above all passionate about what they did. It was a strange feeling for me, I was so used to fighting to be noticed by others; here people were fighting to be noticed by me.

----

I'm not too good of an essay writer so tell me what you think if you care to share.
shmegg 7 / 26 1  
This city is revered for being the gateway to the American Dream, the path to prosperity, but that is only on the outside looking in.

Sounds sort of contradicting to me.

Home / Undergraduate / 'a hole of discouragement' - Purdue Application (How To Overcome)