"I've never had a home" Transfer student's NYU supplement

jp97 1 / 1 1  

NYU - where the home is

Luggage. That's what I am. Dragged by my handle by my family from one destination to another. My fabrics worn from years of constant traveling, never being able to influence where I would end up. Many people say they envy my life, having seen much of the world at nineteen is a privilege I will never take for granted. But, at the same time, I wish I knew what it is like to call somewhere your home.

I've never had a home. Well, literally I have, but I have never had anywhere, country or city, that I would consider my "home" in a sentimental sense. Since I was born, I have lived in several states, Chile, Switzerland, and China. I have never lived somewhere for long, making developing a home-like bond with one place difficult. When someone asks "where is home?" I'm not sure how to answer. Do I say Wisconsin, where I've lived in longest? Do I say Argentina, where all my relatives live and where I've spent every summer since birth? Whatever I say, I often feel my answer is insincere.

Now in college, I finally get to choose where I will be living for the next several years, an opportunity that allows me take control of my so far volatile life. With this said, I hope to make NYU my future and perhaps first real home. A home where I can be part of America's most international student body in the heart of America's most diverse city. A home that accepts my background as well as further nurture my diverse upbringing through the institution's incredible variety of resources. Whether it be the school's interactive and personal way of teaching, which complements my desire to learn through experience, or the availability of the Abu Dhabi and Shanghai campuses along with the many other locations available for study abroad, I know NYU will help me develop academically and as an open-minded individual.

NYU is somewhere people, both enrolled and graduated, call their home. The dedicated students and alumni have proven to me that NYU is a place remembered fondly throughout life. I want to develop the bond they have to the purple of NYU. I want to be an alumnus who wears NYU gear in his sixties. I want to be able to answer the "where is home" question and I want to answer with three letters: "NYU".
Jouaquin, I admire the sincerity of your response. It is heartfelt and shows that you have given careful thought to how you would respond to the essay. However, this makes you sound like a person who is just looking for a permanent address for the next 4 years rather than a student wishing to pursue an academic ambition in a place where he is academically and socially comfortable. Home, in this instance, should relate more to​ your desire to find a place where your academic pursuits and social passions will be nurtured and encouraged. Think more in terms of an academic home rather than the home where a family on ac personal basis will be built. That is not what you are building at NYU. Rather you are building an academic and professional home for yourself in this setting. My opinion is that you need to adjust the essay just a little bit in order to create a personal, academic, and professional home for yourself over the next 4 years.
OP jp97 1 / 1 1  
Thanks for your reply. I definitely get what you are saying and I'll be sure to try and switch the essay focus towards a more academic one, makes sense I mean I'm applying to a school! Your response is greatly appreciated :)

Joaquin

Home / Undergraduate / "I've never had a home" Transfer student's NYU supplement