"If honored to count myself among a future Peace Corps members" -Peace Corp Essay

mcooks1 1 / -  
As a student of business, I was taught that organizations, such as Google, that strove to follow "principles of compassion" such as "do no evil" reported higher financial gains and employee satisfaction than those companies who had no such stated purpose. When I was first presented with this ideology, I thought that it was admirable and worth replicating on an individual basis. However, I came to the realization that it was not nearly as admirable as I first thought. Doing no evil is not the same as doing good. Corporations should not attempt to follow such a passive code of conduct and neither should people. To "do good" is what people should strive to accomplish and the Peace Corps represents an opportunity to fulfill such a goal.

Doing good for the sake of goodness alone is what I attempt to do in my everyday life. That is why I strive to participate in meaningful volunteer activities throughout the year. From collecting canned goods for a local community shelter every Halloween to coaching kindergartners on the principles of sportsmanship, I have purposefully devoted my time and energy to helping others. By joining the Peace Corps, I plan to further my own personal development while simultaneously helping people to the fullest of my abilities. The Peace Corps will allow me to do more good than I could ever hope to achieve on my own.

The fulfillment of the Peace Corps' Ten Core Expectations will prove to be a most interesting challenge for me. One of the most difficult of the Expectations would be the first one. I have been lucky enough to have been born into a close knit family and have, over the years, accumulated a small crowd of good friends. I would find it difficult to leave these two groups for long periods of time. Luckily for me, the existence of Facebook and the ability to send and receive "normal mail' would allow me to in contact with my family and friends. My grandparents, who are just now testing the cyber waters, would love to have the chance to upload photos that I have emailed them. To put my professional life in order would prove to be less difficult; I have made my intentions to join the Peace Corps known to my employers and they support me.

Core Expectation number two will be, I expect, the most physically challenging and most fulfilling of the Expectations. This expectation represents all of my reasons for wanting to join the Peace Corps and, while I know that the work may prove to be exhausting, I have never before looked so eagerly upon a task. If I am honored to count myself among a future Peace Corps member, I would be truly fortunate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

Any help would be appreciated!
You write very well! We are lucky to have people like you who are wicked smart and also committed to service.

When I was first presented exposed to this ideology, I thought that it was admirable...

The thing to do is read the Friedman article and then acknowledge this way of thinking in your essay. After you acknowledge that business is meaningful on its own, you can reaffirm that you desire something more dynamic: an active approach to doing good is what appeals to you, and the Peace Corp is the epitome of this ideal.

Use a comma to separate the two halves of a compound sentence:
To "do good" is what people should strive to accomplish, and the Peace Corps represents an opportunity to fulfill such a goal.

Home / Undergraduate / "If honored to count myself among a future Peace Corps members" -Peace Corp Essay