"hoof beats" - TWO COMMON APP SHORT ANSWER ESSAYS

tiffy 1 / -  
I cant decide which one is better for the application...Also is everything grammatically correct?
Which one would you choose? And what do you guys think about either essay?

1. The pounding rhythm of hoof beats was the first thing I felt when I took my first riding lesson years ago. Then a year later it was the own pounding of my heart that I felt when I participated in my first horse show. I practiced so hard for this moment but still I had a case of stage fright, I felt that my saddle was too slippery, my boots to tight and my horse might start to act up at any moment. My anxiety disappeared however when I crossed the first obstacle. From then on my entire focus was on completing my task; I was determined to finish what I started. After I successfully finished, I was so pleased that I made it from start to finish that winning didn't matter, I was just happy that I participated. I became champion of the show that night.

2. The taste of a moment of freedom and weightlessness descends as I feel the powerful muscles rippling to create a pounding rhythm of hoof beats. The wind is swooshing past me, hitting me in my face, as I create a perfect, peaceful rhythm with the animal under me as we are going faster and faster. We gallop through the pastures and woods encountering rough unknown territory and yet we are managing to cross all obstacles. I feel the stress and problems that have put weight on my shoulders drain away to allow me to find new solutions to whatever problems I have or will be facing. Later, I slow my horse drown to a walk and we take deep even breaths as I look around and be a peace with the beautiful scenery of nature greatest accomplishments then I return at a brisk trot and am ready to face whatever challenges life has in store for me.
heyyyem 1 / 2  
I really like the first one. I think it gets your point across in a creative way without over doing it.
Well, my vote goes to the second one. I like a lot of the sentences and the way the conclusion sentence looks to the future.

The taste of a moment of but this part is awkward.

A moment of freedom and ..

I like your use of swooshing: The wind is swooshing past me, hitting me in my face (no comma necessary here) as I create a perfect, peaceful rhythm...

add a comma here: Later, I slow my horse drown down to a walk, and we take deep even breaths as ...

Home / Undergraduate / "hoof beats" - TWO COMMON APP SHORT ANSWER ESSAYS