How horses transformed a science-phobe (revamped!) Cornell CALS Supplement

Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
I posted this the other day, but have since revamped it quite a bit - any thoughts?? This is my alternate major, I'll post my primary (Drama) essay soon. Thanks in advance - link me to your essay, and I'll return the favor! :D

I've never thought of myself as a "science person," always choosing, instead, to delve deeply into the arts. But I didn't need to throw myself into science - it came to me, in such a sly way that I never noticed it was there until I was hooked.

All my life I have ridden horses. I'm far from athletic, but somehow, when I'm working in unison with an animal, I no longer fumble and trip. My passion for all things equine - and my lack of all things monetary - led me to pursue jobs in stables, tending and riding the horses. For years I went from barn to barn, becoming the official "barn rat" at each - the kid who could always be counted on to stay late into the night walking a colicky horse, or sleep in the barn so as to feed the horses before school. In true barn rat fashion, I became the omnipresent shadow of anyone who might have something to teach me. I learned how to properly pull horseshoes, give Banamine injections, and train newly started horses.

When I was seventeen, I was offered an upgrade, and became a full-time, Olympic-level barn rat. At Team Windchase, a 70-horse Olympic facility, I rode constantly, grew some impressive shoveling muscles, and became the constant sidekick of the on-site veterinarian. I helped inseminate mares, birth foals, treat abscesses, remove bone chips, and even became a 'mother' when one of the farm's foals was orphaned. The hands-on experience thrilled and fascinated me, and I always assigned myself the arduous clean-up jobs in exchange for having ultrasounds and genetics explained in great detail.

Then, one day, it dawned on me. As I sat on my bed, sketching out Punnett squares in an attempt to determine the color of a newly-conceived foal, I realized I loved science. Rote memorization from a textbook hadn't installed that passion - using practical knowledge to help animals had. I may never go to vet school, but I hope to work with off-the-track Thoroughbreds, rehabilitating and retraining them as riding horses. Learning to look at science in a different light helped me realize its significance to my career goals.

The incredible research opportunities offered in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will allow me to keep diving into science headfirst, applying classroom-gleaned knowledge to a practical outlet. The freedom to take classes in the Arts is liberating; Cornell would truly help me become a well-rounded individual, and pursue all my passions collectively. I don't know where I'll end up, but I do know that I want to be prepared for all eventualities. A Cornell education will give me the preparation I need to go anywhere. Who knows - perhaps I'll be the one explaining flexor tendons to the next generation of barn rats!
OP Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
Can anyone help me? :/ I'll return the favor!
Wanderer_x 5 / 88  
I liked it.

Then, one day, it dawned on me. As I sat on my bed, sketching out Punnett squares in an attempt to determine the color of a newly-conceived foal, I realized I loved science. Rote memorization from a textbook hadn't installed that passion - using practical knowledge to help animals had. I may never go to vet school, but I hope to work with off-the-track Thoroughbreds, rehabilitating and retraining them as riding horses

"I loved science" part sounds contrieved and dramatic. ALso "I may never go to a vet school" make it look like you actually want to go to a vet school, not Cornell.

Rest, thumpz up!

WOuld you take a loook at my Grinnell supplement?
OP Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
Thanks! I don't like the vet school part...I've been trying to come up with a good way of changing that, haha! Perhaps "I may never pursue a DVM"?
batmankiller 6 / 40  
I'm not sure if
My passion for all things equine - and my lack of all things monetary - led me to pursue jobs

that part is necessary, seems superfluous as you only use it as an example without going too much for your lack of materialistic views.

In the conclusion I'm not sure if liberating is the right word you want to use, it could be though, I'm just not sure.

I liked the essay, just some rough edges to rough out.
OP Ivy_Equestrian 13 / 55  
Thank you! I'll rethink the 'liberating' part - that sentence is a little awkward...haha!

Home / Undergraduate / How horses transformed a science-phobe (revamped!) Cornell CALS Supplement