"Is hostel life new to you?" - Stanford Supplementary Essay - Note to Roommate

iluvafjk 1 / 1  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate-and us-know you better.

Hi! Firstly, congratulations on entering Stanford! You must've done a great job so far, and you deserve a pat on the back.

My name is Jessica. I'm a Malaysian, but I spent the past four years in Singapore for my studies. I've been living in a hostel during that period, so I'm now used to it. Is hostel life new to you? If it is, there's no need to worry! I assure you, it's going to be amazing! Living together with people from other nationalities is definitely an enriching experience for me, and for you too, soon!

I'll tell you some of my habits. I can't sleep with the lights on, unfortunately, nor can I sleep with noise around me. Do you have any similar habits? I'm also kind of a neat freak, although I can be rather messy sometimes, especially during exam periods when I need all my notes out. But rest assured, I always try to keep all my things neat and clean.

I'm intending to take up the Communication course in Stanford. I like relating to new people and getting to know more about them, like their families and background. Please don't be freaked out when if I ask you so many questions on our first meeting, okay?

I would like us to be as open as possible to each other, so don't hesitate to tell me anything that you need or want to tell me, okay! It includes things that I do that you might find disturbing. That said, I hope that you wouldn't mind if I do the same to you!

I'm sure the road ahead may not be so easy but hey, we are all in this together! Let's make the best of our university life!

------------

Please help me review and comment! Constructive criticisms are very much appreciated. Thank you so much! :)
gymnast842 3 / 6  
The only thing I would recommend is to limit the use of exclamation marks. It's just a bit overwhelming while reading.

Please don't be freaked out when if I ask you so many questions on our first meeting, okay?

so don't hesitate to tell me anything that you need or want to tell me, okay!

This includes things that I do that you might find disturbing.

Hope this helps :)
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello Nadia,

Just a few pointers. In the states, Hostels and Dorms are different things. You should use the word dorm instead of hostels. Also, I intend to take up...should be, I will major in communications. Other than that, this is a great intro note that will help the housing staff place you. -essay polisher
OP iluvafjk 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for your input! I guess I'm too used to writing in the Singapore style... thanks once again!
etron 5 / 17  
Very good--honest, open, and gives great insight about your personality and background. The above suggestions are good; they mostly cover what I was thinking. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "Is hostel life new to you?" - Stanford Supplementary Essay - Note to Roommate