Hot, mucky, and grimy; Common App short Essay Comments

eagles94 1 / 1  
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

Hot, mucky, and grimy: these were the thoughts that passed through my head as I paddled down the Potomac river, one of the most polluted rivers in the area, as part of a river clean up organization. I trudged down stream, peering closely at the banks for any floating trash. It was a difficult task which demanded strength to power through the currents and will power to withstand the harsh environment. Yet my strength was dwindling and my resolve was weakening. Exhausted and ready to give up, I desperately searched for motivation. Then I thought to my self, "This river serves five million people and is home to millions of animals. How many people can say they positvely impacted millions of lives!" I paused and smiled, shaking my head in amazement. "I know I can", and I paddled on.

Word count: 139

I really enjoyed volunteering with this organization and I hope I showed that in my essay. Let me know if it didnt.
paulazh 3 / 5 1  
Hi there ,
I am not sure, but I think you are not really answering the question. This is more like an experience than a "character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.)" . Maybe you could write about this experience, but make sure you are enhancing its impact and influence on you. (:

Hope it helped..
OP eagles94 1 / 1  
Sorry i posted the wrong prompt. The actual prompt is

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer).

Also I edited the previous essay after finding some errors and this is the latest one

Hot, mucky, and grimy: these were the thoughts that passed through my head as I paddled down the Potomac river, one of the most polluted rivers in the area, as part of a river clean up organization. I trudged down stream, peering closely at the banks for any floating trash. It was a difficult task which demanded physical and mental strength to power through the currents and withstand the harsh environment.Yet my strength was dwindling and my resolve was weakening. Exhausted and ready to give up, I desperately searched for motivation. Then I thought to my self, "This river serves five million people and is home to millions of animals. How many people can say they positively impacted millions of lives!" I paused and smiled, shaking my head in amazement. "I know I can," and I paddled on.
philo138 1 / 2  
really amazing
averyk 2 / 6 1  
Really good!

Home / Undergraduate / Hot, mucky, and grimy; Common App short Essay Comments