'a huge fan of Terrence Malick' - NYU supplement essay 2000ch

abnk599 2 / 4  
What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

I am a huge fan of Terrence Malick and his work: classy and penetrating, deep and inspiring. I watched all of his movies and thoughts are running in my mind after every single screening. His films made me change my perceptions and get rid of various prejudices. If the real target of a filmmaker is to make viewers ponder over the lives and analyze decisions they are making, Malick is an absolute genius.

His last movie, Tree of Life is perhaps comparable only to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey in terms of its significance and importance. I felt so overwound attending a premiere, having that wonderful feeling I get every time I see a real piece of art. A magnificent and rare feeling, as art becomes uncommon and incomprehensible by the majority of adolescents nowadays . Merely looking at opening slow-motion shots made me get these goosebumps, when you feel enchanted and culturally shocked. I was even more shocked when I heard people laughing throughout the film and even leaving the cinema. I felt sad and simply disappointed, because almost none understood the movie and made it clear, that the find Malick ridiculous.

For me movie is a masterpiece and not mass production when I can find something unseen before when I watch it over. The Tree of Life is versatile and complex, but it remains real and as objective as it can be. I could not leave the screening without thinking about the regress in our society, but most of all it made me reconsider my meaning of life.
asburyceline 5 / 12  
a little editing:

"As i watch all ofI watched all of his movies and thoughts are running inthrough my mind after every single screening. His films changedmade me my perceptions and getgot rid of various prejudices. If the real target of a filmmaker is to make viewers ponder over the lives and analyze decisions they are making, Malick is an absolute genius."

need a little more work but you have a good understanding of what you want to say and where you want to go with the essay so good job!

i'd make the beginning a little stronger and captivating but other than that i'd just read it over and look more more grammar errors!

good luck! :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'a huge fan of Terrence Malick' - NYU supplement essay 2000ch