"A huge tomboy" + "Guilty pleasures" + "Involved person" - Bucknell 3 things

vermonter11 2 / 3  
The following questions are your opportunity to demonstrate, within the context of the Common Application, what makes you uncommon and uniquely you. In your responses, be bold and have some fun - really! Tell us about your talents and interests so that we can know the "you" behind the transcripts.

What are the three most important things Bucknell's faculty and students should know about you? (up to 200 words each (1400 characters each)

1. I am a huge tomboy. From ages 7 to 12, I wore a backwards hat every single day. Sometimes citizens of my town of 600 referred to me as 'the backwards hat girl', a title I take much pride in to this day. Though this may not seem an important fact about me, the things I learned from being a tomboy make me what I am today. With only an older brother to look up to, I learned pretty fast that sports were the most important thing in the world. Playing hockey, baseball, and soccer with the boys made me tough and led to a tendency to be incredibly competitive. As I matured, my range of interests increased slightly; now along with sports I also enjoyed a good book, and from time to time even a dress, but my competitive edge was still very apparent in every aspect of my life. However, instead of a hindrance, my love of competition has helped succeed in not only athletics, but also academics and theater. I'll bring a fun, competitive edge to Bucknell's campus, and I promise I'll only wear a backwards hat once a week.

2. I have numerous guilty pleasures. My kryptonite is 90s music and movies. While my friends scoff at my screenings of The Mighty Ducks and my I-Pod full of Smash Mouth and Sugar Ray, I scoff at their lack of love. I guess I feel like I owe it to my childhood to carry on the awful, cheesiness that is the 90s. However, I do have one pleasure that I refuse to deem 'guilty.' That pleasure is my absolute infatuation with Harry Potter. And no, I don't mean the blockbuster movies that have made Warner Brothers millions of dollars. I've seen them all, but only because they keep alive the series that has, to my dismay, ended. I have every book, of course, and at least two copies of each (the hard cover for at home reading, and the paperback for travel use). I've read them all numerous times, and they just never get old. I love being able to lose myself in a completely different world, to immerse myself in a place so completely unlike than anything I've ever felt, but at the same time something I can relate to so well. Also, did I mention I play quidditch?

3. Finally, the more serious one. I am a very involved person, and I'll try almost anything, once. I'll be scared out of my mind, but I'll try it. As Americans, we have so many opportunities at our fingertips, and I think it's a shame that most people let things like social expectations and fear of acceptance get in their way of trying new things. This is especially apparent in society's biggest stereotype; high school. As previously stated, I'm a huge athlete, but I don't let that get in the way of participation in the school's musicals and volunteering in my community. While most people are content in their comfort zones, I get bored if I stand in one place for too long. I like to get my hands dirty, whether it's planting flowers in the community garden or making cookies with elementary school kids. I know that if I attend Bucknell, I will bring with me a willingness to try new things, which I find is contagious, and often leads to discovering unexpected new likes or even talents.

any comments? constructive criticism is welcome
jemeshay 3 / 8  
Each one of the essays are well thought out and likable. You use a comfortable tone to entice your audience with. I notice that in each paragraph you are suppose to say why you are a good canidate for Bucknell, but in the second paragraph you didn't mention why you would offer to Bucknell. Other than that, if that is a issue, I have no more corrections. I really enjoyed reading these essays, especially the first one, you had a really great ending.

Home / Undergraduate / "A huge tomboy" + "Guilty pleasures" + "Involved person" - Bucknell 3 things