'humorous and brainless discussion' - UNC essay

ekreal 6 / 35  
So I wrote this essay from the question beneath. I realize it is probably not exactly would they were thinking to get out of the question, but I was hoping it would have kind of a different angle and that would make it stand out? Please let me know what you guys think! I'll return the favor!

Tell us about a time when you struggled to convince someone of something you believed to be right. How did the process go? What was the end result?

My best friend and I are very different in so many ways. I am the kind of person that gets along with everyone; I am always kind and polite and I attend to please people to remain peace. Furthermore I am a supporter of the Social Democrats in Denmark. I care a lot about the environment as well as the people that are less fortunate than me. My best friend on the other hand is the complete opposite. She is sweet, kind and polite, but she loves to discuss and is also a member of the liberal party in Denmark. Which makes it difficult if we ever approach the subject politics. We have had discussions about welfare, the environment and about taxes, but we have always been able to end the discussion with an "I guess we are just going have to agree to disagree", and then that was it - everything back to normal.

So it came as a surprise to me when we one day got into a huge fight about something as simple as the word "cool" (in Danish "sej"). Fřtex, which is a Danish supermarket-chain, had this extremely annoying commercial with a very catchy song and the song said: "Fřtex is cool - because we do more for you". (In Danish it rimes and sounds a lot better). My best friend, Sarah was so annoyed by this song as she did not think you could call a supermarket "cool".

This started out as a mild discussion of the word cool. We both found examples of how to use the word and how not to, and as this commercial was all over the country we were reminded of it all the time, and that started the discussion all over again. Eventually there was so much tension between us because of this stupid discussion and we did not seem to be able to agree to disagree as we usually would.

After being mad at each other for a couple of days, we both started realizing how humorously and brainless this discussion was and we decided to start overusing the word to get rid of the tension. In every sentence we squeezed in the word ¨sej". We had so much fun with it, and our huge and stupid fight turned into one of our best memories ever.

Whenever we are about to have a stupid discussion today, we say "Hey let's not make this into a "sej" discussion", giving the word a whole new meaning, that we could both agree on.
DinoSawyer 4 / 5  
I'm also applying to UNC so if you could help me out it would be appreciated. Perhaps you could do the first paragraph to really capture the audience. Still start with your first sentence, but then do simultaneous comparisons like, I'm into blank while she's into polar opposite of blank. The finish the same while adding "so it surprised me..." in the first paragraph
OP ekreal 6 / 35  
Thanks! I wrote back on yours!

Home / Undergraduate / 'humorous and brainless discussion' - UNC essay