Hunger occurs all over, volunteering -Wake Forest short essay

alexis brandon 17 / 44  
The prompt
What outrages you? What are you doing about it?

My response
Advertisements yank at the heartstrings of America's public by portraying the angelic face of a malnourished child abroad. Donate money to stop the war in Darfur, help stop hunger in Africa! Multiple compassionate individuals are willing to hand out money to these worthy causes, and yet they have no problem walking past the man on the corner asking "can you spare a dollar?" Also, what becomes of the undernourished family forced to consume McDonald's everyday because it is the most economical option? These are the things that outrage me. How can a humanitarian society turn a blind eye to the suffering around them while helping another with the same needs? Why are people willing to attend a benefit concert rather than volunteer at the local homeless shelter? Can we not solve problems occurring at home and overseas? Nonetheless, what am I going to do about the issues? Well, I'm going to volunteer at the local shelter and try to stop hunger one peanut butter and jelly sandwich at a time.

Comments?
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
I like this essay and you make a valid point about helping those in our country as well as those in other countries. The only thing I would change would be to delete this :Nonetheless, what am I going to do about the issues? and come up with a better way to transition to what you are doing to help. Also you may want to say while I will continue to help people overseas with my donations, I am shifting my focus to issues in my own country ... by doing this -- (I'm going to volunteer at the local shelter and try to stop hunger one peanut butter and jelly sandwich at a time.)

Home / Undergraduate / Hunger occurs all over, volunteering -Wake Forest short essay