Hunting the Hidden ; Columbia Supp- "what you found interesting..."

malaikaiyer 6 / 13 4  
What you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events... (I obviously wrote down a dvd called fractals)

Fractals: Hunting the Hidden Dimension, is a movie far from the works of Walt Disney. I'd first watched as a result of an interesting newspaper article. "Hey, Mr. Kohm," I murmured as I stumbled into his office (he is the AP of math at my school). I dropped my black leather bag on the wooden desk, grabbed a chair and sat down. "Here," he said, "check this out." He handed me a newspaper. In it, was an article about a middle school in Brooklyn, New York, where kids had the opportunity of learning art through math. It wasn't something I'd learned in elementary school, middle school, or even high school; yet, these kids were inadvertently opposing Euclid's geometric theory, through fractals. I sat in my chair, looking at the wonderful art, and thinking it all came from math. This was like the Vitruvian Man, 2012 edition. "What's a fractal? Were we supposed to learn this?" I asked Mr. Kohm. "No, the department says we don't have enough time to cover it but look-" he pulled out a DVD, Fractals: Hunting the Hidden Dimension. I watched the movie, in complete awe of the material I'd skipped out on. Learning concepts, theories, ideas that disproved every understanding I had of math, showed me a new dimension. A fractal, no matter how restricted it may look, is infinite. It's a pattern, a pattern the dives into another infinitely and can reflect everything in nature from mountains to coastlines to lakes. I'd realized my understanding of math was through the experimentation of others. And now, it was through the experimentation of another that I was able to gain a whole new perspective. I'd learned that "testing the waters" isn't such a bad thing. Opposing a well known mathematician created a theory of its own, one that's more pragmatic. Even though that article was just an article, and the movie is just a movie, it provided as incentive for me to learn, to explore and to understand as much as possible.
mzontario 9 / 43  
Fractals: Hunting the Hidden Dimension, is a movie far from the works of Walt Disney. I'd first watched as a result of an interesting newspaper article. "Hey, Mr. Kohm," I murmured as I stumbled into his office (he is the AP of math at my school).

Disney allusion was a bit odd. Second sentence is too short and abrupt.

You described your interaction with your teacher in a little bit too much detail ... it took up nearly half your answer. Cut it down and talk more about the actual video itself.

Home / Undergraduate / Hunting the Hidden ; Columbia Supp- "what you found interesting..."