Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"my hurdle coach" - Brown- What is the best piece of advice you've ever and why?

Binkers91 1 / -  
Thanks for taking the time to view my essay.
Feel free to make suggestions and comments, I really need some feedback.
Don't be afraid to be critical.

Thanks again

....

Prompt: What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given and why?

"Attack." This was the "pep talk" given to me by my hurdle coach. When I first heard his advice, I was disappointed. Originally, I had imagined a lengthy speech filled with tips and tricks, maybe even a famous celebrity quote, which would paint an elaborate and detailed picture of how I was supposed to approach my race, but all he said was "Attack." I wondered why he would answer me in such a simple manner, but it was not until I looked past the simplicity of his advice that I saw the golden wisdom lying just under the surface. It was one word yet it changed not only my attitude in races, but my outlook on life.

The day had finally come-the district track meet. All year I had been intensely preparing for the one race that would define the success of my whole season. The pressure weighed down on me like bulky clay bricks and was greatly affecting my confidence. In the previous meets, I did not go one race without falling or crashing. Every time I approached a hurdle, million of thoughts would simultaneously surge into my mind disrupting my focus on the oncoming hurdle. Lift up your knee, drive with your arms, toe pointed up, in addition to: is she going to pass me, am I going to fall, will I surpass my previous time, were just some of the thoughts which were racing through my head each time I approached a hurdle.

As I was warming up for the "big race," once again, all these thoughts came rushing into my head. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of needless worrying. Then, in his customary pre-race pep talk, my coach did something I did not expect. He said, "Attack," then walked away.

Though I was greatly perplexed by his advice, I used it. I ran my race and each time I came up to a hurdle I focused on the word, "Attack." Before I knew it, I cleared all 10 hurdles and crossed the finish line, but not in first. I did not win that race, but I did realize something. When I focused on one thing rather than a million worries and doubts, I actually had fun. His advice was so simple on the surface but it was what I needed, simplicity.

I lost sight of why I hurdled. I used to hurdle because I enjoyed the feeling of sailing through the air and over the obstacles, but worrying and the want to win got in the way and distracted me. When I became focused and attacked without inhibition, I was able to accomplish things. Coach's word helped me put in perspective the right way to approach a hurdle and life. I can not let worries and doubts prevent me from losing focus on my goals. College, especially, will be filled with distractions, from partying to laziness, but if I remember Coach's advice, "Attack", I will be able to stay focused and face my goals head on.

Home / Undergraduate / "my hurdle coach" - Brown- What is the best piece of advice you've ever and why?