"Hurricane Ike struck" - Common app Evaluate a significant experience

prawas 1 / -  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you
Despite having the plethora of experience that comes with living as a world citizen for 16 years, my sophomore year of high school turned out to be a life altering experience. ( Life was simple and like any other sophomore in the US , I spent time hanging out with friends, worrying about homework, and being a normal teenager; however, there was one exception, I spent (t) most of my life travelling from one country to another due to my father's diplomatic occupation. New memories were created and old memories were left behind

(Make this a new para) However, as I entered tenth grade in Houston, it seemed as though I would be able to graduate from high school in Houston and make true friends that I lacked. Sadly, things never went as planned in my life. Hurricane Ike struck and the semblance of normality was obliterated. My previous experiences of going through minor hurricanes were incomparable to the amount of damage and danger caused by Hurricane Ike. Though at first sight it seemed harmless, it left a path of destruction in its wake. Rain and wind battered Houston for the good part of three days. Taking refuge in the stairwell, I felt hopeless, as the sounds of devastation rung through the stairwell. Minutes seemed like days, as time stood still. Long periods of silence were punctuated by the wailings of the gale force winds. Though I was aware of the word 'patience', I did not truly comprehend what it was until I was left to fend for myself in (a) stairwell for close to three days without any knowledge of the outside world. This trial of patience involved a cool head and an optimistic attitude, something I still have to this day .

When the storm finally abated the destruction was apparent. Windows were shattered, garages overturned and most importantly power lines were down. If the storm was a trial of patience, the aftermath was a test of versatility. In this test I played a minor, but yet significant role in making the community come together. The lack of electricity meant no one in my building could cook and it seemed as though we would have to survive off fruits and bread. , However I remembered that we had an old gas stove we had bought for a camping trip. Though it was originally quite a challenge to get it working, after a few failures I was able to get a spark. With this fire we were able to cook various foods , and I was heralded for my discovery. However it was very important for my family and I to help others in our community as well. Though people in our community came together occasionally for Christmas and other such holidays, we were not particularly close. After the hurricane however everyone seemingly bonded together in this struggle to rebuild after the devastation. Where people had seemed cold and aloof before, I now experienced the warmth of human compassion. Though these people had seemed so foreign better to say 'distant' , over a bowl of ramen noodles , strangers became friends. I realized that when things get bad, communities come together and help each other out and I truly understood the meaning of brotherhood. Afterwords, we as a community began helping those outside our community as well by giving away our excess supplies to those who needed it more. Slowly as debris was cleared and damage was repaired, normal service was resumed.

After this life altering experience I once again dreamt of normality in my life. My wish seemingly came true as I settled back into a normal routine. The only difference was this time I had grown closer to my community and learnt priceless life lessons such as patience , courage in the face of adversity and respect or my communty . However, in my life things can never remain normal for long and I was rudely awoken from my dream by my father's announcement, "Prasanth, we are moving in a month to Ghana." A new adventure filled with new challenges but a story best preserved for another time.
Use a hyphen:
life-altering

Use a comma for a compound sentence: New memories were created , and old memories were left behind

Good phrase here!----> ...and the semblance of normality was obliterated.

... for myself in a stairwell for close to three days without any knowledge of the outside world.

Another part I like a lot: If the storm was a trial of patience, the aftermath was a test of versatility.

Should this be capitalized? I think Ramen Noodles is a proper noun... ramen noodles

... but a story best preserved for another time.---Wow, you are a natural writer, I think. I am impressed! Please check out essayforum.com/ef-contributor-page/.

Home / Undergraduate / "Hurricane Ike struck" - Common app Evaluate a significant experience