'Hyperlinks ruin me' - NYU Supplement Essay - What Intrigues You?

ricka123 5 / 13  
Hey guys, so after I read the comments for my last essay, I decided to rewrite it entirely. I have to have this done by either tonight or early tomorrow, so if you could edit this for content, grammar, etc. I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Prompt: What intrigues you?

The little blue hyperlinks; they ruin me. I come to perform a quick search, gather the information and be on my way. But, in the back of my mind, I know it is impossible. From the moment I begin, they catch my eye and I am off. Spiraling down the vortex I have come to know as the Wikipedia Loop. A simple inquiry about Herbert Hoover, and somehow I end up learning about Fermat's Last Theorem. I am fully aware of the time that is being lost, and yet I don't regret it. The knowledge I am gathering is well worth it, I assure myself. What is so interesting is that this is not just a fate of the absent-minded individual. It captures all of us: the scholar and the layman, the royal and the commoner. Wikipedia has become the most successful online encyclopedia because it is simply engrossing. It brings people to places they thought they'd never discover, streets they thought they'd never cross. However, I must point out one fault. Apparently, it is not a viable excuse as to why I fell sleep in Health class last year. No matter. I will endure the scoldings valiantly if it means that I may spend more hours getting lost in the rabbit hole that is Wikipedia.com.
tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
Hey ricka123

I loved the essay! It was really personal and unique. I have never read something about Wikipedia and how it has been important to somebody LOL.

But just one thing. You don't really talk about how it is significant to you. Talk about that and maybe (i'm assuming because of the word limit), cut down about the Herbert Hoover and the beginning (which is really catchy!)

Good luck =)!

Please read my chicago essay. I'm in the same situation as you. turning it in by today or tomorrow early morning =(
abck300 4 / 10  
I agree with Ace. Maybe talk less about why Wikipedia is so popular and focus more on why it's important to you. You know, if you have any experience where the random knowledge you got from wikipedia became handy or something, put that in your essay. Other than that, I think your essay is really well written! Good luck with your application.
oliviab 1 / 3  
This is so unique and wonderful. I love it. To make it more about you though, elaborate more (or just reword) the part where you start talking about how it's so engrossing, and leads you to discover things you wouldn't have before. Good job!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Hyperlinks ruin me' - NYU Supplement Essay - What Intrigues You?