"No idea what I'm writing about" - Florida Admissions Essay 2010

kcrunk 1 / 1  
This is my first attempt at an essay for FSU. It is a bit different from the ones I've seen but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Please let me know if I should scrap the whole thing or if there's any changes that should be made.

For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

To be completely honest, I have absolutely no idea what I am writing about. Florida Stats's guiding philosophy has caught me in the headlights, completely frozen. I have browsed the internet, looking at everyone's essays that have asked for help online, and asked my friends that have already written theirs. That search has turned up nothing. I already started this essay five times, using subjects that I thought would answer the prompt. Once again, I came up with nothing. Perhaps my cluelessness can actually serve as the answer I need.

I believe, or at least I am hoping, that this is one of the most original essays the admissions board has ever read. Writing an essay about nothing is like taking a shot in the dark, not knowing whether you've hit or miss the target. In a way, this defines a few important parts of my character. I have marked myself as a bold and optimistic individual. It is either a very smart or extremely stupid decision on my part. If it was a smart move, and I think it is, then it will hopefully lead to an acceptance letter coming my way. If it proved to be stupid, then my failure will allow me to grow as a person. Then, if by some tragedy, I am not accepted, I will walk away from it all with a valuable life lesson. However, it would be much nicer to walk away from FSU four years from now, graduation robes on and diploma in hand.

A wise, albeit unknown, man once said: "It takes strength to fit in, it takes courage to stand out.". That quote defines both my essay and I, hopeful for a future at Florida State University.
danado0ona 5 / 13  
Is this your essay?!? . . it's under the limit (500 words).

you shouldn't ever say in your essay that you don't understand the prompt, because if i were in the admission office, i would throw your essay away.

So, my advice . .

First of all, i think you should read the prompt several times before you start writing.

Secondly, you should know the meaning of the three latin words which are vires, artes and mores.

i've searched and found that . .
Vires means strength ----- you can talk about an experience in your life that gave you strength, not only the physical strength but also the mental.

Artes means skill --- you can talk about the skills that you got, like art skills, music . . etc.

Mores means customs, traditions and manners ---- you can talk about your environment and how did it affect you. is it a religious environment, or has especial traditions that have affected you.

Thirdly, try to ask your parents or friends for some ideas. ask them to remind you of your experiences . . . and ask them about you . . who you are.

Lastly, calm down, concentrate, believe in your self and stick to the deadline which is October,15 for Fall 2011.

yah . . try to write down everything in your mind and every especial moment in you life. try to write down all of your experiences of course on your scratch paper. i always do that . . that would help you in choosing your topic.

if you did and wrote the essay which i know that you will, post your essay here in the essayforum.com and i'm sure that many excellent people would help you.
ShaunMac611 2 / 4  
This essay came off a bit snobbish, saying how you're so original and made the right choice in writing a topic about nothing. Writing an essay about nothing is clever but not original, many people have done it and maybe the first time it was regarded as bold but now it, as the previous comment suggested, a one way ticket to the garbage can.

That being said you can probably make a decent essay using this basic topic but don't toot your own horn and talk more about your life experiences through example, instead of just telling us.

Good Luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "No idea what I'm writing about" - Florida Admissions Essay 2010