The idealist perspective. Why do you think Earlham is a good fit for you?

Nuverte0452 5 / 24 2  
The word limit is 200. And EPIC is The Earlham Plan for Integrative Collaboration. what do you think about this essay? Thanks in advance.

An idealist full of ideas

"What we call a person who has a full of ideas and passions to make a change but their ideas are impractical?" my friend asked me sarcastically even though he knew that he was talking about me.

"An idealist," I said
Is being an idealist a bad thing? I don't think so. I believe that idealists are able to imagine an outcome that is better than anything otherwise conceived of. It is true that sometimes their ideas are impractical, but the ability to recognize an outcome is the first to making it possible. Even when their projects scatter in front of them, they already start to see new ways of doing it. They are also leaders of a community because they can question the reality and sees how the world could be made better, and therefore, an idealist changes the world.

Earlham values the idealist perspective and helps their ideas become a tangible outcome in or out of the classroom. This is why Earlham is a perfect fit for me because I hope that I can contribute my "idealistic" ideas to EPIC collaborations so that creating a more diverse community to view significant national and global challenges of the 21st century from a different perspective.
Khusel, you don't really make a clear connection between the programs that Earlham offers in relation to why the university is a perfect fit for you. In this case, you need to pick one of the interdisciplinary academic centers of the university and then relate your interests, such as being an idealist, to that academic center. Do some deeper research into the university. The discussion about the Colab center is really interesting and offers you, as the student, a clear path towards learning. Pick one of the labs to discuss as being a perfect fit for you based upon what you have read. Since you have not been able to visit the university, it will be best to try to create a personal connection between what you have read and why it makes the university a good fit for you. The story about you being an idealist will only be relevant if you can somehow connect it to one of the 3 major academic offerings of the university. I hope you can find that connection in order to create a better "fit" essay for your application.
OP Nuverte0452 5 / 24 2  
I just made a change. What about now?

"An idealist," I said
Is being an idealist a bad thing? I don't think so. I believe that idealists are able to imagine an outcome that is better than anything otherwise think of.

(...)

@Holt Again, I made this change to the last paragraph. What do you think now? I

I believe that Earlham is a perfect fit for me because Earlham values student's ideas and passions through The Earlham Plan for Integrative Collaboration. Because I am interested in majoring Business and Non-profit management, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Center will indeed help me to make my idealistic ideas to become a practice for the social good. In the CoLab community, I will also contribute my idealistic voices to the discussion, so that creating a more diverse body to view the problems.
Khusel, you should definitely use the second version of the last paragraph for your closing statement in the essay. It is effective and shows a clear direction for your studies. Not only that but it shows how you plan to use your voice to improve the student community and learning avenues at the university. So don't change anything in that paragraph. It works. It is a very good way to end the essay. As for the first paragraph, You don't need to use the discussion between you and your friend. Just go directly to the discussion about your being an idealist. That way you don't waste the time of the reviewer going through a discussion that doesn't really help to move the essay along. This is a word limited essay to we already know that the attention span and patience of the reviewer when reading your response will not be long either. So go for the central discussion immediately. That way he catches your point at once.

Home / Undergraduate / The idealist perspective. Why do you think Earlham is a good fit for you?