Ideas for How did you get caught?

angie127 12 / 49  
I'm having trouble thinking of what to write for the UChicago prompt. The only literal experience of being caught that comes to mind is when I ran away from my preschool group during a trip in the park so that I could continue playing. I thought I could connect that to the present by saying that the adventurer in me then remains as I travel abroad. Sound good?
qomoco 24 / 107  
Since it's a prompt from University of Chicago, would it be that plain and simple? I'm not sure, I think I have been overanaylyzing. But my first thought about the prompt was that maybe just maybe it somehow relate to philosphy? That's what I think, but from a lot people chose that prompt and wrote about something like that. There was one about a kid lied about fasting and go caught.

Oh, just a suggestion: Maybe you can choose something else. Then you will be separate from others just by the prompt.

I'm going to write the last prompt, choose an idea of my own and take RISK and have some fun. I would never call writing for admission essay fun though. :)
OP angie127 12 / 49  
I just thought of another idea.
When I was younger, I'd play hide and go seek with my dad and brother during our walks. On one particular walk, we passed by our house. I lagged behind, then ran into the house without my dad and brother noticing. I stood by the door for a while, anxiously waiting for one of them to come back and find me. My dad eventually noticed I was missing and thought that I had been kidnapped. He finished the walk with my brother and entered the house from the back. My mom and dad both ran to the front of the house to look around the block. I came out of my hiding spot when I heard their worried voices. Better story? I think I can add more details to this story than the previous one.
qomoco 24 / 107  
angie127
I don't see how that relate to the prompt. Maybe the "kidnapped"?
OP angie127 12 / 49  
i thought that i didn't get caught cause my dad and brother didn't find me.
your philosophy idea sounds good. if you're applying there you should definitely write that. i think that UChicago essays are open to interpretation so you can either answer it literally or creatively.
qomoco 24 / 107  
thanks

I thought you were only doing the first part of the prompt.

It's a nice idea.

Maybe you can do something like that in the end?
You thought you didn't get caught, but you did. They didn't find you, but they still got you in the end. If that make sense at all lol. Sorry my logic is off a bit. haha
OP angie127 12 / 49  
do you think i have to write how the experience relates to me now?
qomoco 24 / 107  
45% no, 55% yes lol. Maybe how that influenced you or shaped who you are today. There must be a reason why you remeber that and wants to write about it.

If there is no way you can relate it to you, just try to write it for now, ideas will come when you start writing.
ebby2010 10 / 51  
i like the first idea you had--about running off in preschool. although, it is a good idea to relate it to yourself now, and i think it might be kinda hard to relate anything that happened that long ago. so maybe you should write about something that happened more recently.

i wrote about the same prompt for UChicago. you can check it out if that helps.

are you applying early action?
OP angie127 12 / 49  
i got accepted into questbridge so i hav to turn my essays in by nov. 2.
i liked the first idea, except theres not much detail i can put in. i could make up some detail but i think its easier to write if you write about what actually happened.
ebby2010 10 / 51  
yeah it is easier to write about something that actually happened. but if you dont have any other option, you could always make up a story. or use someone else's story! just make sure it sounds natural.

Home / Undergraduate / Ideas for How did you get caught?