'ideas turned into reality' Engineering application Essay - University of Toronto

Karanarak 1 / -  
What has inspired you to pursue an engineering degree and why would you like to study at the University of Toronto?
What skills have you developed through your extra-curricular experiences that will support your future success as both a student and an engineer? Your essay should not exceed 3000 characters (including spaces and punctuation).

I have loved math and science since I was a little kid and wanted to go in a field which encompasses both these disciplines. I have always strived to learn more math and science than expected in school and have always been fascinated in learning how technology works. As a little kid I bought various science kits to play around with and to truly understand how things like electricity worked. Engineering will allow me to put the knowledge I have in Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science to use. Additionally, I relish the thought of being an engineer because it will allow me to be creative and innovative, and will allow for a more hands on experience. I wish to be an engineer because they are logical; they are problem solvers and they constantly think outside the box. I also believe that the resulting satisfaction, I will get as an engineer, when my ideas are turned into reality will be unparalleled.

I have been fascinated with University of Toronto (U of T) ever since I went for the Designapalooza event in grade 6. I spent the entire day at the engineering department building a roller coaster, with other kids about my age. There are many benefits of taking studying at U of T. One of the main reasons is the amount of flexibility the engineering science and Track one engineering courses provide. At this point of my life I'm not sure which engineering stream I am most interested in and these programs allow me to explore and find out which stream resonates the most with me. Moreover the university of Toronto includes PEY as part of all engineering programs, this will allow me to put the knowledge that I learn into action, helping me fully understand how to apply the concepts learnt in real life. Finally, the University of Toronto is well known for its academics and this program will allow me to be with the best and brightest from around the world, providing an optimal learning environment for me to grow personally and academically.

Many of the skills that I have picked up through my various extra-curricular activities will support my future success as a student and an engineer. The most important skill I have learned is to better manage my time. Being a part of 5 different school clubs in grade 12 requires the ability to manage your time so that all academic and extra-curricular demands can be met. This skill is extremely important for a student going to university, because of the sudden increase in workload compared to high school. My extra-curriculars have also made me more disciplined, focused and dedicated to whatever task I decide to do, which means that I will try my best and work efficiently as a student and an engineer. Additionally being part of the environmental council has made me more aware and concerned about the Earth and becoming an engineer, would allow me to develop greener and more energy efficient technology.

I need help improving this essay, as it does not sound very good to me.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
I have loved math and science since I was a little kid and wanted to go in a field which encompasses both these disciplines.

I have loved math and science since I was a little kid and always wanted to pursue my studies in a field that encompasses both these disciplines.

I have always strived to learn more math and science than expected in school and have always been fascinated in learning how technology works.

... Some parts sound a bit repetitive :( I feel it is good you said this idea through some real life example so that they would understand this more convincingly. That is a much more effective way to convince your admission officers than making statements.

Home / Undergraduate / 'ideas turned into reality' Engineering application Essay - University of Toronto