'my identity is not lost' - The best outcome for a Personal Statement

livetink 1 / -  
I like reading The Twilight Saga numerous times and I am a sucker for the television show 'Glee'. I like cheerleading, singing and occasionally writing assignments. I appreciate my family, my job, and the opportunity I have been given from my school. Despite these hard cold facts, there are still some things I don't yet know about myself. I don't know how I feel about a woman's right to abortion, I have mixed feelings about transgender candidates running for Miss America and I don't yet know what I think of the death penalty. I have no precise answer to offer about a life-changing experience, and it is hard for me to give an all-embracing proclamation of who I am and what I want to do in life. For I am only seventeen years old and still embarking on a journey.

Although I love to read, write and sing those actions don't define me. That also doesn't mean I am going to be the next William Shakespeare or Alicia Keys. I love to eat and look at pictures but that doesn't mean I'll be the greatest editor or chef of all time. With the right school like [Colleges Name] I do however believe I could be the next best thing. I'm working hard right now to get the best education available to me and I have been blessed to be in the Cohort Program. I value my intellect and personality and I also value my faults. I don't look at being 'undecided' as a negative; I look at it as more room for me to grow and experience new things. I am passionate about the law, the youth and recently biology. However I don't want to come into JMU with a title or a falseness of who I am. I want to grow, progress, and learn new things about myself.

Don't get me wrong my identity is not lost I know exactly who I am. I am my own person; a person who laughs, cries, smiles and loves. I am an individual who wants to be the first in her family to graduate from college. I am a student throughout life, not just in the classroom. I am a person who makes many mistakes, but who has the courage to learn from them and not make them twice. Each passing moment is a new life experience for me and makes me grow into the person I know I want to be. I am an open book but not a clean slate. I will eventually have to choose between biology, working with the youth and criminal justice. This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's time to make mistakes. Erma Bombeck once said "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say," 'I used everything you gave me.'" I hope I can start using everything He gave me at [Colleges Name].
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello Tyresha,

Best essay I have read so far this admissions Cycle. Congrats! Your essay masterfully combines a hint controversy with individuality. You are sure but yet unsure which absolutely describes a 17 year old. I think James Madison would gladly help you learn more about yourself and the world. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'my identity is not lost' - The best outcome for a Personal Statement