Why I want to be an illustrator? MassArt Statement of Purpose Letter! Help !? :3

KatryanaJazmin 1 / 1  
The is my statement of purpose for MassArt ! Im supposed to express myself in word and explain why i want to study the major I choose (Illustration). This is the only writing submission they ask for! I tried to show how I've grown to the person/ artist I am today! I wanted to add a bit more but is it good so far?

When I started high school my life was a pretty normal one, I was one of the kids who were just trying to "fit in". What I didn't know was that fitting in would lead me to a path that wasn't the best. My father loved me but wasn't really around and when I was in 8th grade my dad was deported. Around that time was when my uncle Felix stepped in as a father figure. When I was in 10th grade my uncle passed away from cancer and this affected my whole life especially my school career. Being on the path that I was and dealing with my uncles death resulted in me attending school only about 20% of the school year, if I even attended that much. About a year later with my senior year approaching I started to attend a little more but not enough to pass and I was able to graduate with my class. But the councilor at my school suggested that I look for an alternative school and this is when I heard of Boston Day and Evening academy.

I applied, got accepted, went to orientation, and turned over a new leaf. At this school I wasn't trying to fit in, I just wanted to be the person and student I knew I could be! There was a lot of opportunities and classes and one of them was art studio with Mr. Franklin Marval. This class changed my life. Before this class I used to draw in notebook and make fan art but never took my potential seriously. I also met a lot of people there who really support me and my journey and helped me find something even greater. Around this time is where I started looking for a purpose in life and I found it with God. Being a follower of Christ has definitely helped me get through a lot of things in life. Through my relationship with Him I also found the fire and encouragement to continue my goal to become an artist. I am blessed by him with the potential to do all that I put my heart and soul to.

I want to be able to reach people in a way I never seen, through art. I never took an art class before this year and I didn't go to art school, but about two years ago is when I started getting into art. I have learned to express myself in many ways and tried my best to get better at different types of art. I have bettered my skills of sewing clothing, design, drawing, illustrating, and painting. I was a little nervous at first to show people but eventually I learned to embrace my work because it is a part of me. The reason why I want to go to Mass Art is because I believe I will learn all the skills I need to become a great artist. I want to use the skill I learn to show people God's love through me! I hope to become an illustrator and incorporate what I have learned over the past couple of years. I also want to express my love for my Creator and His love for us all through my art.
Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
Hi Katryana

I am also struggling to write a personal statement, it would be great if I can be of some help to you. Katryana, I read many essays to get an idea bout personal statement and I did not find it much as per the prompt. As I was reading your essay, I felt more of the sad part. May be you can improve it by mentioning some of your achievements in art works. In your first paragraph, you mentioned about your family but no where about your interest. Make the family part short and regarding art, I could only see 3-4 sentences . You did mention that so and so persons helped you and your belief but this is general. You can make it better by writing in what they helped. Have you ever received a award or any of your art get published? Mention the creativity of art , you are a great artist so try to write creatively with mention of your drawings, publications, etc. I hope it might be of some help to you :) Good luck :)
Katryana, after careful reading of your essay, first it is very clean, neatly written,
you didn't go for segmented paragraphs that most students do when they want to
impress the panel of their writing, this normally does not work and I'm glad that
you didn't do it.

Your word choice is also very strong, you manage to use words that are precise,
easy to comprehend and most importantly conveys the message that you want your readers
to understand.

I took the liberty to strengthen your final 2 sentences in this essay.

Final paragraph
- I want to useincorporate the skill I
- learned to show people, God's love through me!
- I hope to become an illustrator and incorporate what I have learned over the past couple of years. I also want toand express my love for my Creator and His love for us all mankind through my art.

There you have it Katryana, I hope my remarks helped.
OP KatryanaJazmin 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for your feedback ! I was thinking the same exact thing ! I need help and I ended up posting it on here ! & I was also think that my statement was lacking in the art part of my life/ purpose ! I'll post the update of my statement when Im done ! & Ill go look at your now !

Home / Undergraduate / Why I want to be an illustrator? MassArt Statement of Purpose Letter! Help !? :3