'Imagination' - UVA: What is your favorite word and why?

SLEE30 2 / 3  
The topic question for this essay is, "What is your favorite word and why?", for the UVA Supplement to the Common Application. It should be around 250 wrods, but im at 602.

All suggestions, comments, or critiques are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for taking the time to read my essay and supplying your input!

It is a word that we loved as children, a word that is unique to each individual, a word that has impacted everyone childhood and adulthood positively and negatively. It's astounding how one word that is often said without thought can be part of us throughout our entire lives; This word is imagination. Imagination has no boundaries and is not the same as anyone else's imagination. This word was created numerous pioneers in developing new technology and ideas. Without imagination, we wouldn't have some of the Disney movies we us children loved, we wouldn't have genius's like Steve Job creating the Ipod/Iphone our society thrives on every year. Imagination makes the dull perspective of life fun and entertaining.
czoeee 1 / 4 1  
In "everyone childhood and adulthood," the "everyone" should be possessive. Change it to "everyone's"

If you want to cut back on some words, "throughout our entire lives" is a bit redundant so you can get rid of "entire" and just have "throughout our lives."

Change the semi-colon between "our entire lives" and "this word" into a period. Or if you want to keep "This word is imagination" joined to the previous sentence, you can make "this" lowercase.

"Imagination has no boundaries and is not the same as anyone else's imagination."
When you say that it "is not the same as anyone else's imagination," you've already pointed that out in the first sentence when you said it was unique to each individual.

"This word was created numerous pioneers in developing new technology and ideas."
Change "was" into "has."

"Without imagination, we wouldn't have some of the Disney movies we us children loved, we wouldn't have genius's like Steve Job creating the Ipod/Iphone our society thrives on every year."

This is a run-on sentence. Change the comma between "children loved" and "we wouldn't" to a semi-colon or change it into a period and capitalize the "we."

Also, there should not be an apostrophe-s with "genius." Change it to "geniuses"

"some of the Disney movies we us children loved"
Instead of this, you can give examples of certain movies you've enjoyed.
Also, I think you were trying to say "as" instead of "us."

mm.. I would reword "dull perspective of life" somehow. It is kind of a downer in such a light-hearted essay.

Your choice of your favorite word is good but not exactly original.
However, I like how you've organized and explained this.

Good luck!!
OP SLEE30 2 / 3  
Thank You sooooooo much for your help! Greatly appreciative!
jincera1 2 / 11 3  
Any more examples you can add into this?

Home / Undergraduate / 'Imagination' - UVA: What is your favorite word and why?