'immigrant parents from India' - William and Mary Personal Statement

pitt4life01 5 / 8  
Ever since I was a child, I have always considered myself an international person, a citizen of the world. Being raised in two radically different cultures really has an impact on someone, and that impact depends on the person. Some find it very difficult to find the best of both cultures and create a beneficial blend, and as a result, they lose cultural identity. However, it was not so difficult for me. I've embraced both my backgrounds equally and have integrated well into each society. In fact, I'm even trying to learn about new cultures in other areas of the world.

I was born to two immigrant parents from India. Being of Indian origin has heavily influenced me in the way I live my life. I enjoy Indian food, speak two Indian languages, Tamil and Kannada, fluently, follow Hinduism, and have learned different types of Indian music from singing to mirdangam, a South Indian drum. I also keep in touch with my family in India and visit there about every other year, which has also helped me hold my roots close. However, when someone asks me where I'm from, I say America. Why? Not because I'm not proud of my Indian heritage, but because I was born and raised in the United States. As an American, I enjoy things such as Sunday football, fried chicken, and Thanksgiving. I don't consider my two identities separate- rather I find my favorite aspects of both cultures and blend them into my own culture, which has worked out nicely for me so far.

Although my heaviest influence comes from my Indian background and my American upbringing, I'm still influenced and fascinated by other cultures in the world. Maps, atlases, and the outside world in general have always fascinated me. This interest led to me being the Geography Bee champion at school for four years, out of which I finished fifth in the state of Virginia when I was twelve. In addition to speaking English and my two native tongues, I have also taken four years of French in high school while learning Dutch and Swedish on the side. I feel comfortable speaking French and I can get by with a few phrases in the Netherlands or Sweden. I also hope to study abroad or live somewhere in Europe in the near future. So yes, the European culture has also had a significant impact on my identity.

What makes me unique and colorful is the fact that I do not belong to just one culture- I am a conglomeration of very different cultures. Although this may seem very difficult to many, it has yet to confuse me, and I embrace each and every aspect of all of my cultures. What I enjoy most about being so diverse is the fact that I can connect with people from many lifestyles, even many Europeans although I was not born nor have ever lived in Europe. Therefore, I am not a citizen of any one place but an international citizen.
sjmiller1993 4 / 13  
overall i really like your essay, but in the third sentence of the second paragraph you should add in some semicolons because you have multiple commas within your items

I enjoy Indian food; speak two Indian languages, Tamil and Kannada, fluently; follow Hinduism; and have learned different types of Indian music from singing to mirdangam, a South Indian drum.
I've embraced both my backgrounds equally and have integrated well into each society. In fact, I'm even trying to learn about new cultures in other areas of the world.

This first paragraph is intriguing, but I still feel like something is missing. It shows this international minded attitude, but it does not express the idea the reader needs to know about what you intend to do with the empowerment you will receive in this program. Is it really better for you than similar programs, and if so, how?

What makes me unique and colorful is the fact that I do not belong to just one culture-

This is such a great theme,, but I challenge you to make it a little more. I think it's not enough. I hope you'll take it a step further and come up with a way to express what you will actually do to contribute to your professional field or community, etc. :-)
admiraljes 2 / 14  
Hmm, the title was misgiving. I thought you were going to talk about your parents, but I guess not. Anyway, this is too broad and bland. I don't learn much from you, aside from you liking football and fried chicken. =/ I would recommend you to maybe give a personal experience about when you and your parents had something happening between you (either good or bad) that led you to realize something about your heritage.

Home / Undergraduate / 'immigrant parents from India' - William and Mary Personal Statement