"the immigration office and American dream" - MIT Significant Challenge

pintianz 7 / 15  
Tell us about the most significant challenge you've faced or something important that didn't go according to plan. How did you manage the situation?(*) (200-250 words)

With foot shaking with anticipation and excitement, I slowly make my way toward the immigration office. However the feeling of excitement soon transformed into frustration as I discover myself mute, deaf, and blind in the new world.

Adjusting to my life in the United State was the most significant challenge I've faced. As a twelve years old Chinese Immigrant, I was overwhelmed with the difficulties as a foreigner. I did not speak English, had no friends, and knew almost nothing of the American culture. It was very frustrating during my first year of school in the US to receive no grade for homework because I never knew that any was assigned. These problems have suppressed my hopes and dreams in America.

To overcome this challenge, I studied diligently to learn English inside and outside of class and I also worked to catch up with the society by communicating with others in public. I also found helps from my parents, teachers, and classmates. After about a year, with the help from others and my own determination, I became fluent in English and was able to fit in with rest of the society.

By successfully overcoming this challenge, I feel more confident about myself and my ability to take on new challenges in the future.
jjenny9301 5 / 10  
i was writing about my immigration experience too, but when i showed it to my English teacher, she said change your essay completely.
not because if was bad, but more so because EVERYONE can write about immigration.
with so many immigrants applying to MIT, it's really hard to stand out.
so maybe be more specific and write an essay about ONE particular event.

can you edit my "oh the places youll go" essay?? thanks!
gigi5 3 / 12  
I agree with lightoftheeyes, some specifics would be nice to make it stand out.

I love the sentence:
It was very frustrating during my first year of school in the US to receive no grade for homework because I never knew that any was assigned.

Made me smile. ;)
OP pintianz 7 / 15  
Thanks for the comment and advice!!
gretchenk 5 / 14  
I really enjoyed your essay, i think you could describe your feelings, sentiments you had when you first arrived in a bit more detail.
Good luck with your admissions!

Home / Undergraduate / "the immigration office and American dream" - MIT Significant Challenge