To be immovable, movable, or to move: [UPenn Essay]

kimbra09 1 / -  
To be immovable, movable, or to move: Benjamin Franklin's statement appears to indicate divisiveness, but I believe therein lies a tacit blurred line. The man himself was a mover; he invented and created. However, he was firm in his convictions about democracy, in his belief that the United States should have a form of government, and in his acknowledgement that science will have a growing place in society. From the great leaders of the past to burgeoning members of society such as me, everyone contains aspects of firmness and fluidity.

In the future, I envision myself traveling, moving, and seeing everything. I dream of a profession that brings my feet out of bed of its own accord. I want to open the door in the morning and know that today, I will learn something new, and perhaps go somewhere new, or discover something new. I have an itch built in my feet that directs my gaze forward; I am a mover. However, to move incessantly would be exhausting. Consequently, there are parts of me that are fixed.

Since I was young, I have maintained the conviction that there is no such concept as 'evil'. The polarizations between the swashbuckling hero and cackling villain did not sit well with me; could anyone be so inherently good that they made no mistake? Could someone be inexplicably rotten for the sake of it? My five year old thoughts may not have been the stuff of classic philosophers, but I pondered regardless, beginning my inner debate over the concepts of 'good' and 'bad' that still lasts today. I cannot reconcile myself with the finality in the word "evil"; this is one of my inalterable principles.

On the other hand, my ideologies are malleable, shaped by the fingers of Time. A few summers ago, I learned that a close friend's mother had committed suicide. How could anyone alter their family's lives so violently? Unbeknownst to myself, I began to see suicide as an act of cowardice. This year, I was chosen to participate in the Sources of Strength program, aimed to expand suicide awareness. To my surprise, my peers shared harrowing stories of turmoil. The tears that coursed down one girl's face as she described her crumbling home life struck me, and I finally understood. Depression is a condition that, like cancer, cannot always be immediately controlled. My perspective changed, as it will likely change while I continue to develop my sense of self.

Again, one must regard the quote issued by Benjamin Franklin. He stated that all mankind belonged to three categories, but what of womankind? What of those who do not identify as either gender? It seems a remarkable oversight from the man who invented bifocals. The key aspect of this statement must be that he 'once' uttered these words. Franklin, bifocals or not, could not have foreseen the future. He could not have known that 222 years following his death, there would be 7 million inhabitants of the Earth-- far too many to fit in three boxes. Just like my fellows, I do not belong solely to one of these categories, but possess characteristics of all, and the key is to find a balance- to be in motion, firm, and movable.

the word limit is 500; i know i've exceeded it. is there any verbosity here that could be cut out? also, do I come off as too detached/formal? thank you! i'll be sure to read your essay too!
nairbear68 6 / 29 6  
i just posted my own upenn essay and have been looking around at others, but your is by far the most insightful!
everyone else (including myself) seems to have chosen the "move" category, whereas you have been very creative with your answer.
you don't sound too formal btw. besides it's a formal answer to a formal question so a little detachedness is to be expected.

as for verbosity, your three body paragraphs seem to have a bit of repetition in them that could be cut out. also i heard you should never use rhetorical questions in a college essay so maybe you could cut those!

and yes please do read my upenn essay! thanks :)
bigpapi 3 / 9 1  
I think you may have accidentally said there are seven Million people in the world instead of seven Billion

Home / Undergraduate / To be immovable, movable, or to move: [UPenn Essay]