IMPACT OF HOCKEY; UW seattle - PERSONAL STATEMENT

hockeystud911 1 / 3  
Born with a hearing disability; UW-Seattle Engineering Essay

I'm over the suggested limit its supposed to be 1000 suggested but they have all told me at the school, the story is more important that the words. PLZ PLZ any help is appreciated. Criticism good or bad is well worth it for me, let me know what you liked and didn't like! THANK YOU!!

At this time in my life I have found a calling and a path that compliments my abilities, desires and future productivity, Engineering. I have always been interested in creating, accomplishing personally as well as supporting those around me to excel as an individual and as a team. My story isn't a story about a sad young kid with a rough life, but a story about a man with the perseverance to become a success. It starts at a young age, being born with a hearing disability, developing a speech impediment until I was 6. The first hurdle to overcome was the ability to even communicate effectively in life. Eventually expanding my communication abilities well enough to become a camp counselor at the age of 14, volunteering for over 300 hours of community service, receiving multiple awards from the city of Mt. View, CA. Even at this age I had a drive to fight past what was expected, to overcome the challenges placed in front of me. Setting the tone for what will make me a capable engineer.

In the 5th grade with my high energy I was type cast as hyperactive with attention deficit traits and my grades suffered. As in life there are rules in place for those who do not fit a program, putting me in jeopardy of passing the 5th grade. My parents enlisted the advice from a psychologist and took exams that proved my abilities were there, but something was missing. This is the point in my life that I was diagnosed with a learning disability. The psychologist had stated that I had received an overall full scale score of 126 on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for children or IQ test. I had even received a score of 140 on my performance scale which falls in 1.2% of the population. The school each year required exams to place the students and their abilities compared to the nation, this is when I showed my skills. I scored in the upper ninety-ninth percentile in math reasoning, with an equivalent mathematics ability of Post High School, the highest possible score on the exam. This single test allowed me to pass the 5th grade. Overcoming my learning disability, with the guidance of those who believed in me, was my first true hurdle in life, preparing me for my next challenge.

I can't describe in this statement the impact that playing Hockey has had on my life. There is a saying in hockey "you don't play hockey, you live hockey". I have learned and accomplished so much during my time as a hockey player, the mechanics required performing as a team, the leadership and dedication required to succeed, as well as how to deal with defeat as an individual and a group. I had gone from playing as a young adolescent for only a year and quitting the sport to return 2 years later to be nominated as captain, continuing to be captain for other teams. This left me with the invaluable leadership qualities I have today. I gave up my weekends for games and road trips to other states and countries, playing with people from all over the world. Countless hours and 6am practices taught me the hard lessons of determination and perseverance. I had always had a goal of playing at the NCAA college level. This was my dream, but as a 6'2" 150lb player my body was less than adequate for the task. My last year before playing college hockey I was nominated as first-team all-star by the coach's in my league and was second in the league for points. I was contacted by colleges and committed to play college hockey in Massachusetts. I had come from a young kid who quit, because of harsh words and bullying, to become a college athlete.

My college hockey experience was not bright, I transferred to Milwaukee School of Engineering the year after playing in Massachusetts and attempted to play hockey there. It was beginning to show that my body was not built for this level of play and I was unable to perform. I was cut from the hockey team and when this happened it felt as if a part of me had died. Like the person I had been for so many years had gone and I had to forge a new path of who I was. I had dedicated 13 years of my life to something and it was taken from me at no fault of my own or lack of effort. My year at MSOE was one of the toughest times in my life. I went into MSOE an athlete not a student and frankly would never have gone had it not been to play hockey. With the combination of family issues, money trouble and an ambulance ride to the hospital from the swine flu I was far from prepared or even ready as a person to be a successful student. The school felt this sentiment as well and was not sure if I was up to the task either. I was two thousand miles from any family members or any friends. I have never felt more alone in my life then I did at that point. I was now put with the task of forging a new path in life with little help or guidance. I began to realize the long life I had with hockey though now dead could be reborn in a different light and be used to accomplish a new goal, of passion and intrigue. I realized that my experiences as a hockey player would not be in vain and all the work that was used and life lesson could be now focused towards another positive goal that would affect me for the rest of my life,

As I sat in a room with 6 of the heads of various engineering departments of MSOE, I fought for my right to be at the school. I told them the mistakes I had made and the changes in my life that I made. The last quarter of my school year at MSOE was the rebirth of a new person. The road was not set smooth at first but the path was being forged to a bright future. I had come into that school as a defeated hockey player and left as an aspiring student, experiencing the true meaning of education and knowledge for the first time, experiencing a new passion for engineering. This is the quarter that I learned that I had the abilities to be an engineer. I had proven myself to the committee and they granted permission for me to stay the 3rd quarter with the stipulation of a 2.5GPA, I achieved this and higher. I was paving the way to becoming an Aeronautical Engineer but due to financial issues had to leave MSOE and enroll in school at Madison Area Technical College.

Since the last quarter of MSOE, I have been a success. The accomplishments are just as they were in hockey a true testament to my rebirth. Since the summer of 2011 I have never had a regular academic year drop below a 3.75 GPA. I have attained over 100% final grades in multiple mathematics and engineering courses. I was noticed by heads of departments and was asked to become a tutor, I now tutor all levels of calculus and linear algebra and I am one quarter away from being certified for all levels of mathematics offered at Highline Community College, tutoring kids, from many different walks of life, at one of the most culturally diverse campuses in the state. As well as being a tutor for chemistry and physics. With my admittance to the University of Washington - Seattle I will be providing you with a student who is prepared with the life lessons need to succeed as a Aeronautical Engineer, A person who understands the necessity to give back to society by refereeing the youth in the community on the weekends and the understanding of a having a job built on performance and expectations in a thankless environment, developing priceless conflict resolution skills, being assigned to referee the top two teams in the nation for the high school age, putting my leadership to the ultimate test. I ask you to look at the person that I am today and what I am willing to offer, not as the person I was many years ago and I will promise you my success as I have proven many times in my past.
My life story unfolds a story of a man who took up some impossible challenges through perseverance. Being born deaf and developing a speech impediment until I was six, I was challenged as to how I would save my life from the label of "disable".

You have a very interesting story and it's really inspiring too :)
You really deserve admission... GOOD LUCK!
OP hockeystud911 1 / 3  
Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Home / Undergraduate / IMPACT OF HOCKEY; UW seattle - PERSONAL STATEMENT