'how important my father is in my life' - Personal Statement

luadatio 1 / 1  
Topic: Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence

It took me a long time to realize how important my father is in my life. He was a theological professor who had been loved and respected by students. However, he gave up his seven years of career as a professor when I was just reaching puberty. The reason was that he wanted to keep his promise sincerely that he had made to become a pastor of a church. He chose a frontier mission instead of staying at a place of comfort and reputation. With a motto, "new land, new people, new church, and new vision", he began a new church in a newly developed residential area. My family moved to new city and became a first member of a new church. The church was located in the building where a rehabilitation hospital is. Many young and old, injured and disable people attend every Sunday worship service; my father showed passion in sacrificing for others and vigor in embracing others with love and care.

Growing under such passionate and sacrificial role model, I learned many things that I do cherish. I not only learned the importance of embracing others with love and the value that derives from sacrificing for others, but also came to know the significance of having the challenging and positive mind. Pastor is a position that has to sacrifice for other people's life as well as lead people to new challenge. I sometimes saw my father being hurt and disappointed by others. As I was young, I always had a question of why especially my family has to live a strenuous life that sacrifices for others. I envied of other students who lived a prosperous life and desired of being rich. Sometimes, I disliked the fact that my father gave up his professorship and became a pastor of a frontier church. However, growing and spending many times in the church, I came to respect my father and realize how invaluable things I learned and inherited from him.

Seeing the life of my father, I experienced a change of my attitude to others as well as myself. I was usually a shy and fain-hearted boy who was afraid of approaching towards others. However, one day I found myself volunteering to go near and smiling and helping patients in the church. Having close relationship with them, I discovered that they have dream and hope like other people. I also developed my dream as a businessman who foreruns in helping and assisting people with love and generosity. Although the work in the school was hard and difficult, I always strived never to give up, and challenged problems and approached with new perspective. Challenging the problems with enthusiasm, I found myself enjoying something new. I do not know how callous and strenuous my life would be, but I know that I will confront the hardships with gratitude and joy and overcome those difficulties by the strength and belief that I have gained from my father.

please critique my essay and I wish you to give me some advices.
Thank you! :)
claude 1 / 2  
First thing I realize is that your opening sentence isn't quite as strong as it could be. Remember that admissions officers probably get more than a handful of essays about mothers and fathers. You want yours to stand out from the very beginning.

And a few small mistakes I currently have the time to correct :) :
the value that is derived from
having a (not the) challenging and positive mind
I envied other students (no 'of' in there)
A Pastor is a person (not a position)

Check out my essay too if you have the time.
Cheers.
OP luadatio 1 / 1  
Thank you for your advice :)
I would try to change it.

Home / Undergraduate / 'how important my father is in my life' - Personal Statement