Important life lessons from Panera Bread

ogessays 1 / -  
Describe a significant experience from the past two years which required you to interact with someone outside of your own social or cultural group (ethnic, religious, geographic, socio-economic, etc.). How did this impact you? What did you learn and what surprised you?

The sweet smell of freshly baked bread surrounds me as I enter my new workplace, Panera Bread. It was my first day on the job and I was in a completely new setting. I didn't know anyone or anything about the people I was about to work with. Keeping this in mind, I was a bit shy because, just like anyone else in my situation, I wanted to make a good impression.

The first person I met was Alex. She was 19 when I first started working at Panera, so she had graduated a year before. After she told me her age, I was a bit surprised that she wasn't in college. At the time, I had not been exposed to very many other people aside from family and friends, so it was something new for me. While getting to know Alex more, I found out that she did have some financial issues; otherwise she would've been off to college.

As I got to know everyone that I work with, I learned about their lives and why they're working at Panera. For some, it was just a part-time job, but for others, it was one of the multiple jobs that some of my coworkers had. I was so used to seeing my parents and my friends' parents with one job that it came to me as a shock that the people I work with have other jobs. They all had different reasons for why they work: to pay for tuition, their kids, etc. It's amazing how some even juggle school with two jobs. Although there's nothing wrong with having more than one job, learning about everyone's' lives was an eye-opener for me.

Today, I now understand that not everyone's life is like mine. Some people have it harder and some may have it easier than I do. It's one of those things you hear, but you don't really think about or completely believe until you see or experience it. This revelation has motivated to me strive hard, just like some of my Panera friends do.
Romi, this is a nice work experience essay in response to the prompt. It is encouraging to know that you are quite observant of your surroundings and that you easily pick up lessons from the lives of those around you. However, I believe that you need to refocus the essay on a single work experience that had the most impact upon you. I am thinking that maybe you should concentrate on your relationship with Alex alone. After all, the prompt indicates that you choose only one person and experience to discuss in this essay.

From what I gather, you learned a lot about Alex and your friendship was quite an eye opener. You discovered many things about Alex that helped you get to know Alex better and also allowed you to learn about how much different and lucky your background is. That sounds more like a prompt adherent response than the one you have at the moment.

Right now, you discuss Alex at some length and then give a mix of other lessons and experiences you learned. Since these were not fully threshed out and were not person specific, it doesn't really create the kind of strong impression that your paragraph about Alex did. When you write an essay like this, it is important to focus on the experience and the lesson you learned. If you present more than one experience, the impact of the essay is lessened. Perhaps you can concentrate on the lessons and experience that you gained from your friendship with Alex instead? You can still use your last paragraph is you wish to. You just need to revise it a bit to reflect just the Alex experience :-)
- ...to very many othera lot of people...
- aside fromother than my family and friends,
- ...of my coworkers hadhave .
- ...my friends'( an apostrophe is not needed in the word "friends" this is a common mistake that writers do as they are confused and nit exposed to reading or writing such words )

- Today, IN ow, I do understand
- This revelation has motivated to meto strive hard,
- just like some of my Panera friends do .

There you have it, I hope the remarks I made helps. And yes, not everyone's life is as comfortable as many of us, some are deprive and some have a little bit of everything not to mention those who have too much of everything but believe me, no one can have everything. The sense of discontentment always bore the human brain and will continue to hunt for satisfaction in their lifetime.

Home / Undergraduate / Important life lessons from Panera Bread