Impressed by Emory - Perfect Balance of college

rqf15 1 / -  
Many people decide to apply to Emory based on our size,location, reputation, and even the weather. Beside these valid reasons, what makes Emory a good college choice for you? Limit:250 words

While researching colleges, I saw something peculiar about Emory's website. In addition to reading about Emory, I was able to learn about it by watching videos of students and teachers talking about the Emory experience. Like Emory's website, Emory appeals to me because the university finds multiple ways to teach its student. In addition to pedantic learning, medical research and internship are possible because of Emory's proximity to the Centers for Disease Control and the American Cancer Society. There is also the possibility of being part of the fifty percent of the student body that study abroad through CIPA. In the classroom, First Year Seminar with small student to faculty ratio augments my learning ability with more access to professors while Theory Practice Learning teaches me through community service.

Emory's events also stand out above other colleges. Lunar Banquet and Classroom on the Green were most appealing to me. Lunar Banquet was appealing because I like Chinese celebrations and Classroom on the Green because of intro to real world issues. I'm also interested in Emory's Wonderful Wednesdays and the Annual Carter Town Hall, experiences that cannot be found elsewhere. I hope to enjoy these experiences in the near future while learning on Emory's campus.

Please help! Does it answer the prompt completely? Suggestions please!
ericao2010 12 / 32  
I really like your response! The only thing I would suggest is that I would take out the second sentence and expand on what you saw that was peculiar about Emory's website.

Hope this helps! :)

Can you please check my essay?
appeals to me because the university finds multiple ways to teach its student.

Got any evidence for that besides the website videos? Or is that just an empty claim? You should follow this claim immediately with an example.

medical research and internship are possible because of Emory's proximity to the Centers for Disease Control and the American Cancer Society.

Maybe you intend this as an example to support that claim, but... I don't think it works. To give a good example of teaching that uses multiple methods, it is a great opportunity to show that you are familiar with the work of one or more of the schools professors.

Good luck!! :-) You are great! I hope in other parts of your application you show that you are focused on achieving specific goals in the next few years... proactive.
hockey520 2 / 8  
Hey bro, I just transferred into Emory the beginning of this year and I LOVE IT!

I think your first reason is justed, however don't emphasize the fact that you found it online. Actually, try not to say it all; just you you discovered that "aspect A" existed. It makes your essay give a "Oh, I didn't visit there but I looked on youtube and collegeboard.com so that should count."

Also, I can tell you that Emory looks for students who can and will join a club, lead, and give back to the community. Search their clubs and find one that interests you and briefly write about why you want to join it and what kind of things you want to accomplish in that club. Don't BS either, because they are smart here and will know right away.

emory.edu/admission/student_life/clubs_organizations/active_clubs_and_organizations.html
UPennHopeful 3 / 7  
These may be minor points but I do not find your first point about Emory's website very compelling. I also think that you should omit "pedantic" from your third sentence as that does not create a positive impression about your attitude towards learning.
Mohaimin 3 / 7  
Not very compelling. Yes, remove pedantic, and the part about the website is not very good. Mention something specific about Emory, like some professors or clubs, or role models who went there.

good Luck.

Home / Undergraduate / Impressed by Emory - Perfect Balance of college