'Now we have more than we ever had in India' - College Admission's Essay

saloanim 2 / 2 1  
Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

There is only one person in my life who has always given me support, given me courage, and given me strength; only one person, who has unknowingly given me the knowledge to face life, just by watching her. That person is my mother.

All parents work hard to give their children a better life than they had, better opportunities, and a better environment. My mother worked extremely hard to give me and my brother better lives. When we lived in India, I recall one morning, it was around 3:00am, I woke up to get a glass of water and I saw my mother leaning over a the largest textbook I had ever seen. She was studying for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), which is a three part examination that foreign physicians are required to pass in order to practice medicine in the United States.

I, still, have never seen anyone work as hard as she did, I remember her waking up every day at 3:00am and studying, then going to her clinic to be on her feet for nine hours to treat patients. When the USMLE results came out, my mother was in the 95th percentile, which meant that all of her hard work paid off and that we were moving to America. I will never forget the sacrifices my mom made for me, leaving behind everything she had spent her whole life working for, our house, our belongings, her own clinic, also her friends and her entire family.

I still remember that very day when we came to America and we didn't own anything here, and now, we have more than we ever did in India. Anytime I face a challenge, a decision, or a struggle in my life, I know I make the choice for my benefit. But, every decision my mother made was not for her own benefit but for my benefit, every challenge she faced head on was for me, and every struggle she went through was all for me.

My mother had once told me that she never looks at any challenges she faces in a negative way, she doesn't look at them as something that will hold her back, but she looks at them as opportunities; Opportunities that give her the courage and the strength to face life and opportunities that shape her future. I do realize that I will not have my mother by my side all the time to encourage me and motivate me. But I do know that I will always treasure all that my mother gave me, not the materialistic things, but the way she worked herself to death to give me a good life.
There is only one person in my life who has always given me support, given me courage, and given me strength; only one person, who has unknowingly given me the knowledge to face life, just by watching her. That person is my mother

given me support, given me courage, and given me strength ------------ repetition of the word ''given'' sounds a bit like a list; let's try to rephrase;

There is only one person in my life who stood behind me, endlessly supported me and nurtured my courage and strength. Yes, it was only this person who prepared me for life letting me follow her foot steps. She is no other person, but my mom.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Now we have more than we ever had in India' - College Admission's Essay