"Indian Classical Music + Physics/EE" - USC Supplement (Short answers)

melkorthefoul 13 / 31  
Tell us about an activity that is important to you, and why. Please feel free to talk about an activity other than one you may have discussed in your essay.

I think the rest of the application adequately expresses my academic interests, so I'd like to talk about my love of music, specifically, Indian Classical music. I started playing an instrument called a 'veena' (Similar to its North Indian counterpart, the sitar) three years ago, because I wanted to connect with my Indian heritage, and felt that music was probably the best way to do so. Over the past three years, playing the veena has given me a greater insight into the way Indian music works, as well as the confidence to play in the multiple public performances I have been a part of ever since I began playing. Whenever I visit my grandparents, or any of my innumerable great aunts, uncles and other relatives I never knew existed, instead of spending much of the time twiddling my thumbs or burying my nose into a novel, I am instead able to talk with them about music and, if they have a veena, play for them and discuss the various interpretations of the piece.

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

Though I am a naturally inquisitive person who finds nearly anything interesting, my main passion is physics, both theoretical and practical. At USC, I plan to pursue this passion by majoring in both physics and computer engineering. To this end, I feel that USC is the ideal place to study both subjects. My interest in physics is very general; I would study fluid mechanics just as quickly as I would quantum mechanics. However, I have always been interested in unusual projects such as the Combustion Physics Lab, and studying at USC would give me the opportunity to be a part of similar initiatives. As for computer engineering, there are numerous exciting projects that are being conducted at USC, such as quantum information processing or optical computing, which I would very much like to be involved in.
lapetitecygne 7 / 16  
wow, varied interests. first essay, the first sentence isn't terrific. you don't have to explain why you want to talk about indian classical music. maybe talk more about relating it to your heritage?

second essay, they're a little too set-in-the-present. is there a background to your interests? some of those filler sentences could go, but talking about what USC has to offer in your field of interest is good.

are there word limits? if not, def write more. good luck!
chalasasha 3 / 5  
i would reword the end of the first maybe like this:
Whenever I visit my grandparents, or any of my innumerable great aunts, uncles and other relatives I never knew existed, I am able to talk with them about music rather than spending much of the time twiddling my thumbs or burying my nose into a novel. If they have a veena, I may even play for them and discuss the various interpretations of the piece.
chunf 5 / 26  
I have read both of your essays and I found them interesting and well written. They sound very personal and I think the admission officer will like it, good luck!

Btw, thanks for review my essays.
graceee 3 / 8  
Nicely done! Both of your essays are very personal. I think if you add more details about how you developed your interest in physics and computer engineering in the second essay, it would be even better! :) Good luck with your app!

Home / Undergraduate / "Indian Classical Music + Physics/EE" - USC Supplement (Short answers)