Am I really an Indian? - different communities and/or groups

melkorthefoul 13 / 31  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

To the casual eye, there is very little doubt that I am an Indian. For one thing, I certainly look the part. Breakfast in my house is usually composed of "dosias", a South Indian dish similar to crepes. Most lunches or dinner are made up primarily of rice, along with vegetable curry and "rasam", a soup-like substance that is mixed in with the rice to give it flavor and substance. I try to celebrate as many Indian festivals as I can, with all the associated ceremonies and rituals. Every now and then, the sounds of the latest Tamil soap (usually wailing or dire pronouncements of revenge) can be heard blasting forth from the TV.

However, if one were to look closer, one would find evidence of outside influences. For one thing, over 90% of the dosais that I now eat are "cheese dosais", which are folded dosais with a load of cheddar stuffed in between. Lunches are accompanied by Coke, potato chips and the TV, where we watch the latest episode of Stargate, or reruns of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. Every festival ritual is now carried out with a laptop, on which the Sanskrit is transliterated into English, so that I can read it. Due to the fact that I am in an international school, I am bombarded by even more foreign influences, resulting in my family celebrating Christmas and the Mid-Autumn Festival, among others.

So in fact, although I would still say that I am an Indian, the fact of the matter is that through my experiences, I have acquired a mix of experiences that have placed my partway between Indian and foreign cultures.

Just slightly unsure about the ending... any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
zengrz - / 92  
Hi.

This essay is pretty unique. I think what you are trying to say is that although what I do seemed Indian, but it is the little things I do that differentiate me from a 'regular Indian', since I incorporate the strength of different cultures into my daily life. So, you are a good addition to the school because you can incorporate the good things that you see into the original and make it better?

I don't know if this is correct but it just come to me. Try to go along the line if this is what you think.

G L~
blackpixel23 19 / 46  
I definitely like how you describe the two versions of your Indian world. The sentence structure is smooth and everything seems tight. Concerning your worry about the ending, maybe you can do something with the last part of the prompt that asks where do you fit in within this community. Maybe something like "I am a medium between these blahblahblah." Hope this helps.
Hi,

In your question, it states that;
Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

I feel that you have defined a modernized Indian community (may be the new Indian generation, the members of which are not conventional thinkers but still wish to continue traditional customers and beliefs). Therefore you can finish your essay by describing your place within it.

Home / Undergraduate / Am I really an Indian? - different communities and/or groups