"The Indian Institute of Technology" -- Significant Experience - IIT preparation

sharman93 2 / 3  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

In India there are some institutions that specialize solely on training students to prepare for the entrance examinations of the premier engineering colleges here - The Indian Institute of Technology (IITs). Invariably the good ones amongst them have a success rate of around 50%. The competition hence in these institutes is very intense and at times bordering on the verge of paranoia!

After finishing my class 10, for my Plus 2, I joined one of them. I had in all my years at school, been amongst the top 5 in my class without really working long hours to achieve that. I was also pursuing tennis on the pro circuit. As such I felt I was good enough to be amongst the best in academics whilst pursuing tennis - which in those years to me was a future profession as an option.

Joining this institute turned out to be an eye-opener. A leveler of sorts. I realized that over the years an element of complacency had gotten into me. I saw that competing to gain admission into premier institutes in India, particularly the IITs, is as good as competing with the world's best. This competition is magnified further given the one-dimensional pursuit in India, where if one does not get into a top engineering college, he or she is almost branded a failure in life.

A painful period of realization and self-analysis then followed. I found myself, at times, vacillating between the "fight or flee" extremes! I had to weigh my options and take a quick decision on my pursuits. I put tennis, my passion, on the backburner for a couple of years and played it occasionally as a refresher or hobby since these were my formative years from a career point of view. Realigning my focus, commitment and life pattern was not easy. In hindsight it is this phase last year that helped me mature. Giving up Tennis was a "sacrifice" of sorts. But I think the decision was right. I grew over the unsubstantiated "dream" phase and came to understand the meaning of the phrase 'no free lunch'.

I started studying with a renewed focus and commitment. I got into the top 25 percentile of my class - a category that has mostly made it into the top engineering colleges here in India. I learned that getting overawed and slouching shoulders only makes matters worse. I began to understand the message of the movie "Seabiscuit" a little better. When I first saw that movie it was more "entertainment". Now I have begun to see the underlying message - even if you are broken, there can be hope - for everybody - in their own little ways. But the journey is - to quote from the movie - "Brick by Brick"!

I also reconciled to the fact that I was pursuing a combination of Math's and Science in my current phase - Plus 2, here - in my current institute because in India there are no quality options at this stage to pursue business management, economics and commerce. Nevertheless, my present college has given me the opportunity to be with and compete with the best. That should stand me in good stead because it has helped me learn just how fierce the competition can get and also stand on par with my peers. Also, studying Math's and Science at this stage has helped in honing my logical reasoning skills better - which are vital for business and economics.

Thus, in spite of Engineering not being my first choice, this education and the environment, with my peers, has helped me prepare better in general for the rigors ahead. I have learned to perform well in areas that may not have been to my liking and thus developed a flexible approach to things. This juggling of goals and priorities and emerging from a state of flux, as a more purpose - filled individual with vivid and lucid dreams has been my greatest achievement yet. I have had to make tough decisions and have needed a tough resolve to stick with them.

Btw guys I'm applying to B-schools in general. So does it matter whether I've mentioned that I'm preparing for IIT. I mean I wont come across as muddled up, will I? Because here in India there arent really many choices in high school and I decided on undergrad business only once I entered high school....Any inputs will be appreciated, thanks.
toxiclycute 1 / 1  
Its short... try to add details. I know quantitly is not quality, but it still matters. You wanna show the admissions office that you put time & effort into doing this. Other than that, its a good draft.

Suprisingly, I did an essay on the very same question...mines was titled as "The English Test"... got me into NYU...if you wanna c it for reference, let me know.
OP sharman93 2 / 3  
Thanks for the comment...which part do you recommend I elaborate on ? ( which part seems to be most powerful ?)

Home / Undergraduate / "The Indian Institute of Technology" -- Significant Experience - IIT preparation