"influenced by my Lebanese culture" - University of Virginia Supplemental

nicoler22 3 / 4  
Describe the world you come from and how that world shaped who you are.

We cannot overlook the world we come from. Despite where we come from, who we are raised by, and the morals that we learn, our world is what shapes who we are. My world is influenced by my Lebanese culture.

My father emigrated from Lebanon during times of political and economic turmoil, in search of a more successful and peaceful future. My father has overcome his hardships and now provides everything for my family. Growing up as a Middle-Eastern girl among a community of many Caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians, has given me the chance to bring my own culture into this mix.

Although I embrace my Lebanese culture every day, I often reflect on the many differences in my lifestyle from my friends'-when greeting someone, three kisses on the cheek is appropriate. Our dinners always include a variety of traditional Lebanese courses, and yes, we do shovel food down our guests' throats. Family is always first, in any situation. It is important to have nice things and to take care of these nice things.

Along with the many strange quirks my Lebanese heritage brings, I have also been instilled with strong values. From regarding my father's experience, I have learned that hard work and perseverance truly does pay off. In any task that I attempt at I put my all into it, never giving up. Another value instilled in me is a strong sense of respect; respecting my elders, my loved ones, but most importantly respecting myself.

These differences are what make me, well, me. I could not imagine a day when I don't hear my father yelling in Arabic over the phone. And no he's not upset, Lebanese people just talk loudly.
Jpuck 4 / 28  
I wrote this same topic for UVA. Good luck!

Family is always first, in any situation
- the comma isn't necessary

Why has this influenced your life so much? And because of your Lebanese culture, how have you become the person you are?

I think you might have missed answering those questions, and I think they're kind of vital to the prompt. Overall well written.

Home / Undergraduate / "influenced by my Lebanese culture" - University of Virginia Supplemental