Be Informed; Pomona Supplement - What I say to my community

503dannyk 8 / 25 1  
Any critiques and edits are appreciated.

If you had the complete attention of your community for five minutes, what would you say, and what would you hope to accomplish?

If I had the attention of my community for five minutes, I would tell them to be informed. As a country and as a society, we are more ignorant than any other time in history. Many people do not understand nor wish to understand the issues facing them. The average person today is more likely to know the details of the General Petraeus affair than the details of how our healthcare system works. In fact, ignorance has led many people into deep apathy towards important matters that define our political, economic and social state as a country and as people. Thus, ignorance has led to more than just not knowing or not wanting to know about important issues, it has has led to an unwillingness to participate in the democratic process. It is the reason we do not see people voting and not being active in the way every citizen can and should be. To me, ignorance is the major culprit in society today which is directly responsible for the American laziness and inactivity we so often see. For these reasons, I would tell my community that staying informed is the only sure way to express the concern that leads to action. As Thomas Jefferson once said, "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." You see, Jefferson understood that without being informed one would not be aware of the problems we face, thus concern and action would be left by the wayside and the liberty of the people could potentially be diminished or worse lost. So, for the preservation of their liberties I would tell my community to be informed because ignorance is not bliss.
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Don't repeat the question in answering it.

As a country and as a society, we are more ignorant than any other time in history, and manydo not understand nor wish to understand the issues facing them.

The average person today is more likely to know the details of the General Petraeus affair than the details of how our healthcare system works.

^ Great example. Give another.

In fact, ignorance has led many people into deep apathy towards important matters that define our political, economic and social state as a country, and as people.

You talk a lot about how people are uninformed and apathetic, but you should talk about how they can become engaged.

"Read the Wall Street Journal, _________, __________"
OP 503dannyk 8 / 25 1  
NEW VERSION:

As a country and as a society, we are more ignorant than any other time in history because many people do not understand nor wish to understand the issues facing them. Moreover, the American public has an obsession with sensationalism and as a result, journalism has turned into a tool of diversion, distraction and entertainment. The average person today is more likely to know the details of the General Petraeus affair than the details of how our healthcare system works. In fact, ignorance has led many people into deep apathy towards important matters that define our political, economic and social state as a country and as people. However, ignorance has led to more than just not knowing or not wanting to know about important issues, it has also led to an unwillingness to participate in the democratic process. It is the reason we do not see people voting and not being active in the way every citizen can and should be. To me, ignorance is the major culprit in society today which is directly responsible for the American laziness and inactivity we so often see. For these reasons, I would tell my community that staying informed is the only sure way they can express the concerns that lead to action. As Thomas Jefferson once said, "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." You see, Jefferson understood that without being informed one would not be aware of the problems we face, thus concern and action would be left by the wayside and the liberty of the people could potentially be diminished or worse lost. My hope for my community would be for them to read and watch the news and want to know about the issues that affect them because a new brand of journalism is needed whose standards are not of ratings, but a vision independent of the public's sensational demand. Good journalism and an informed public are of extreme importance for the preservation of our liberty. Therefore, I would tell my community: for the preservation of your liberties, be informed because ignorance is not bliss.
Many people do not understand nor wish to understand the issues facing them.

Many people neither understand nor wish to comprehend the issues they face.

Strong point; good!

In fact, ignorance has led many people into deep apathy towards important matters that define our political, economic and social state as a country and as people.

I suggest; "as a nation" .... "nation" has both these meanings.

I would tell my community that staying informed is the only sure way they can express the concerns that lead to action.

..."only guaranteed way"

Home / Undergraduate / Be Informed; Pomona Supplement - What I say to my community