"Innocence" - Stanford CommonApp Essay #3

tannerscooter 6 / 14 1  
This essay I felt was the hardest to write, as there was no central point that was identified by the prompt. I'm not sure if I did this essay correctly, but I did it how I thought I could answer it best. If you have any thoughts, please don't hesitate to tell me - I need all the help available for this one. Also I have about 400 characters left, so if you think I should add anything more please let me know.

What matters to you, and why?

As a Catechist Aide at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church, I work with children a great deal. I teach them what I know, I help them when they are struggling, and I try to show them what it means to be a good Catholic. This is not the only reason that I teach the class, though. What I really want is for them to teach me how to become like them.

"And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.'" (Matthew 18:3). Jesus tells us that in order to join him in Heaven, we must rid ourselves of sin and assume the innocence that we had when we were very young. Today, I see many people straying from this path and moving away from God, and it saddens me greatly. I've had to watch some of my own friends go through drug abuse and other things that really hurt them. The worst part is that they refuse to accept any help because they don't want to see what they're doing as wrong or bad for them.

What matters to me the most? Innocence. I believe that a move towards innocence is one of the most important steps forward that we, as a race, can take. Just imagine a world where we all move away from sin and mimic the morality of our children. There would be no war, no violence, and the people of the world could be at peace with one another. This is what I, as a person, want to move towards and is why I spend my time with the little children. I want to morally and spiritually become like them, so that I may spread peace and love to all those around me and eventually be able to spend time with my savior in Heaven.
pjbrida 2 / 2  
I've heard this in a few places, but always be careful when bringing in religious affiliations within your writings. Obviously that is the main topic of your response, and I don't think that should matter, but keep it in mind. Again, I can't say this for SURE, I've just seen it across various boards.

As a Catechist Aide at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church, I work with children a great deal. I teach them what I know, I help them when they are struggling, and I try to show them what it means to be a good Catholic. This is not the only reason that I teach the class, though. What I really want is for them to teach me how to become like them. <- Something about it is awkwardly phrased

"And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.'" (Matthew 18:3). Jesus tells us that in order to join him in Heaven, we must rid ourselves of sin and assume the innocence that we had when we were very young. Today, I see many people straying from this path and moving away from God, and it saddens me greatly. I've had to watchwatched (passive voice) some of my own friends go through drug abuse and other things that really hurt them. The worst part is that they refuse to accept any help because they don't want to see what they're doing as wrong or bad for them.

What matters to me the most? (be careful with this- directly stating the prompt is sometimes iffy ) Innocence. I believe that a move towards innocence is one of the most important steps forward that we, as a race, can take. Just imagine a world where we all move away from sin and mimic the morality of our children. There would be no war, no violence, and the people of the world could be at peace with one another. This is what I, as a person, want to move towards and is why I spend my time with the little children. I want to morally and spiritually become like them, so that I may spread peace and love to all those around me and eventually be able to spend time with my savior in Heaven.

You definitely make it clear as to what you find important/what REALLY matters to you. That's good. Religion is always a dangerous path to go down, however, as sad as it is. I don't think it's fair to fault someone in any way for their religious beliefs, but it's a sad reality. I really wish the best of luck to you! I'm also writing my third supplement for Stanford currently. If you would, you should look for mine and help me out too! :D
OP tannerscooter 6 / 14 1  
I know man, I was a bit nervous about bringing my religious beliefs in it, but it is what I'm most passionate about and is what I can explain best. And it's not fair that my religious beliefs may get me discriminated against, especially by the people who aren't supposed to consider race or religion in their decisions.

Home / Undergraduate / "Innocence" - Stanford CommonApp Essay #3