'innocent Chinese people' - Edit my UMich essay

fangyanyuyan 1 / 1  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it. (Approximately 250 words)

Here goes my essay:
We are a group of enthusiastic fighters. We fight for freedom, we fight for liberty, and most importantly, we fight for human rights. As one of the few times that I stand on the opposite of my Chinese compatriots, I choose to learn the truth and to spread the truth. I belong to the group of "Free Tibet", and I am responsible for evoking my fellow citizens of what our government did to the innocent Tibetans.

I learned this group from books, documentaries and YouTube videos. They struggled for "Tibetan independence" and they denied that Tibet had always belonged to China, I was first shocked to hear this because it infracts what my education taught me, however, as I learned more from talking to different people, reading diverse books and thinking more about it myself, I gradually realized that my country indeed disguised the truth from its people.

Due to the autocracy of the Chinese government and the education system, innocent Chinese people are brainwashed. Therefore, my role is to be an information-spreader. In order to become eloquent and persuasive, I chose the Tibetan issue as my Senior Project and I discovered the bloody truth under the cover. I spread the truth to the people who needs it and argue with people whose ideologies are firmly controlled by the Chinese government. Their ignorance makes me feel the importance of education and the demand of people like me, who knows the background of China and Tibet, has the enthusiasm to pursue liberty and gets the just information freely.

I feel more than honored to be in this community, stand by the side of justice and truth and fight for the home of six million Tibetan refugees.

Thank you!!
Much love!!
mcig - / 7 2  
This is just my opinion but usually in all college essays you have to talk about how it impacted you. Sure you answered the question but you generally want to talk about how your club changed you and impacted you as a person, so that the college can learn more about you as a person and whether you fit in or not.

Due to the autocracy of the Chinese government and the education system, innocent Chinese people are brainwashed.

Their ignorance makes me feel the importance of education and the demand of people like me, who knows the background of China and Tibet, has the enthusiasm to pursue liberty and gets the just information freely.

Seems a bit harsh. I'm also an HS senior and I'm a chinese guy applying to UMICH along with many other chinese. Does this mean you'll just alienate us and try to convince us that we're doing evil? Probably not your intended message, but that's what I kind of thought, and might show the college admissions person you won't fit in, esp since Michigan takes in alot of asian people. Make your words less severe. Ex: Because the Chinese government has a very autocractic education system, many of its citizens are unaware of Tibetians. This unawareness made me realize the importance of ________
OP fangyanyuyan 1 / 1  
unawareness is a much better word than ignorance. I struggled a lot with this word because it's definately not what I try to say. Thanks a lot

Home / Undergraduate / 'innocent Chinese people' - Edit my UMich essay