'an innocent man is in prison' - Why you're applying to *blank* school - Rice

gaia777 1 / 3  
I'm applying to Rice University, and they have the applicants write an essay over their choice of schools.
"With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study."

I'm applying to the Social Sciences school and would like some feedback on this essay:

I found out that an innocent man is in prison for rape and the one person that could verify this, the actual criminal, is now dead. Then the episode of Law & Order ended and left me pondering the flaws of the legal system of the United States. I saw this episode over a year ago, and over this time I have become more and more interested in becoming a lawyer in order to deliver justice for victims as well as help the wrongly accused. I believe that of the schools of study offered at Rice, the School of Social Sciences will be the best one to prepare me in my pursuit of a law degree.

If you see any mistakes or places I could(or should) provide more detail, please respond, but do so soon, this is due before 5 pm today.
Athena - / 83 3  
Hi,

Really Good Essay.A completely new approach :)

I believe that of all the schools of study offered at Rice, the School of Social Sciences will be the best one tothat would enable me to prepare for a law degree degree in Law.

Add a sentence what aspect of Law School at Rice University makes it unique.

All the BEST!!!
OP gaia777 1 / 3  
What motivated you to apply to Rice? - Rice University - feedback/help

On the application, Rice asks "What motivated you to apply to Rice University? Please be specific and limit your response to 200 words."
I'm having trouble answering this without sounding like a cliche. This is what I have so far:

In small towns, rumors spread like wild fire, the landscape is dull and almost lifeless, and everyone knows everyone else, whether they have met or not. Rice first interested me when I learned that it is located in the large, culturally diverse city of Houston. From the pictures I have seen of the campus, it seems that it has lush, green scenery. Recently, an alumnus of Rice, who was also a former graduate of my high school, came to deliver speeches to the English classes, as well as to give our library several books he had written. He told us of how he had not considered Rice as a college choice before he went to Houston for state championships, and took the opportunity to visit the campus. He told us of how he had long before decided that he would go to a different school. He had only applied to that school, until his visit to Rice caused him to consider applying, and after graduating, went on to become a successful college professor. This inspired me and made me believe that even people from small towns barely on the map can become a success with the proper education, which I believe that Rice will be able to supply me with.

Please help me with this and respond soon, as this is due 5 pm today.
Athena - / 83 3  
From the pictures I have seen of the campus, it seems that it has alush, green scenery.

This That inspired me...barely on the map ,
can become a successsuccessful with the proper education,...

Make the last line more catchy...also, I just felt that you could write a sentence or two on 'WHY RICE?' ..It's a really nice motivation you've described..but a line on what makes its education different will really help..Like:

1. Its unique degrees
2. Outstanding faculty
3. Exchange Programs/etc

Wishing you All the Best!

Home / Undergraduate / 'an innocent man is in prison' - Why you're applying to *blank* school - Rice