Insight is overrated - Amherst Supplement Response

Mah_Bad 1 / 5  
Thanks for clicking! I am mainly looking to see that this essay conveys who I am (in a positive light), makes sense, and is well written (or at least stylistically acceptable).

Prompt:In addition to the essay you're asked to write as part of the Common Application, Amherst requires a second essay of no more than 300 words. We do not offer interviews as part of the application process at Amherst. However, your essays provide you with an opportunity to speak to us. Please keep this in mind when responding to one of the following quotations. It is not necessary to research, read, or refer to the texts from which these quotations are taken; we are looking for original, personal responses to these short excerpts. Remember that your essay should be personal in nature and not simply an argumentative essay.

1) "Rigorous reasoning is crucial in mathematics, and insight plays an important secondary role these days. In the natural sciences, I would say that the order of these two virtues is reversed. Rigor is, of course, very important. But the most important value is insight-insight into the workings of the world. It may be because there is another guarantor of correctness in the sciences, namely, the empirical evi-dence from observation and experiments."

Kannan Jagannathan, Professor of Physics, Amherst College

Insight is overrated. That's not to say it isn't important, but frankly it isn't as prevalent as AP Literature would have you believe. Still, a world without meaning is a world without motives, depth, and double entendre. When cigars are always just cigars, Freud is without a job. Boring. When I play chess, every move of mine has a plan, and every step my opponent takes tells me a part of theirs. Early pawn to g3 is King's Indian. Black to f5 is the Classical Dutch. Complexity has its merits.

Writers still give meaning too much credit. When I wake up at 4 a.m. to feed and pet my cat she still meows incessantly. Reasons don't necessarily make things better. Everyday ironies and quirks don't need Cliff's Notes to have zing: PETA has gone to the dogs, and sometimes restaurants give Native Americans reservations. Simple can be beautiful. Is Earth more awesome because a poetic god sculpted it and all her inhabitants, or because out of the billions of spheres in the billions of constellations ours had a balance that would allow the seas to carve mountains, and life to form from a struggle against itself, with endless mutations competing to make us the even now imperfect species that we are?

Maybe I'm a cynic. Maybe I'm tired of analyzing Emily Dickinson. Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, sometimes the best reason is none at all.
I think the whole essay would be 100% better if you changed the first word from insight to meaning. The essay seems like it is all over the place, but it would be much clearer if you changed that first word.

"Insight" messes up the essay, because I don't know exactly how you are using the word. But if you use "meaning" at the start instead, the whole essay will be a discussion of this excellent word, meaning, and all your commentary on it.

The most important thing to do when you have a complex style of thinking and writing is to make sure no one can accuse you of "faking it" and just being fancy but lacking substance. This essay is not guilty of that, but if you are not careful to clearly expound your meaning (for every term that could be interpreted in more than one way) then people, in their confusion, might think you are faking it.

One more thing to correct: it and all her its (or her and all her)

:-)
AWadood7 1 / 1  
I don't know but isn't this essay a bit argumentative and should be more 'personal in nature?'It is personal, to some extent, but mostly in the conclusion.
aiswim 4 / 28  
I really like how your syntax matches the theme that "Simple can be beautiful."

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's "CliffsNotes," not "Cliff's" (possessive).
But if you already sent it in, don't worry about it.

Home / Undergraduate / Insight is overrated - Amherst Supplement Response