Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Insight Resume (Written Experiential Assessment)

Moe25 1 / -  
i was wondering if you guys could help me with this and tell me what you think?

1. Leadership/Group Contributions: Describe examples of your leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time. Consider responsibilities to initiatives taken in or out of school.

One of my most exhilarating experiences has been the co-founding of the Somali Youth Council of Washington ("SYCW"), an organization whose vision is of a society where Somali young people can realize their full potential. Embracing Somali values and culture, we focused on empowering and inspiring young Somalis to learn about their culture, religion, and language. We also emphasized on providing counseling services for youth (aged 12-18) and families with the objective of preventing under achievement, exclusion, peer pressure, substance abuse, and involvement in drugs and crime. We developed programs that taught leadership, interpersonal skills, self esteem, anger management and team building.

2. Knowledge in a field/creativity: Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; take diverse perspectives; come up with many, varied, or original ideas; or willingness to try new things.

Because of my country's synonymity with violence, warlordsim, famine, terrorism, and piracy, and the frailer of foreign diplomatic, military and state building interventions to bring an end to the chaos and build peace, I took it upon myself to learn about these dynamic problems and the mechanism to find their solutions. In this process it became evident to me that the solution doesn't ly with some external entity, but with the Somalis themselves. In other words a Somali-led peace processes that is based on indigenous grassroots peace building and reconciliation process. This can be achieved through restitution and restorative justice based on customary law and traditions of the Somali people.

3. Dealing with adversity: Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing that challenge, the role that person played, and what you learned about yourself.

I'm from Somalia, a country that has been broken by famine, disease and war. My family fled from Mogadishu to escape the rampant violence after my Mother was killed and all of our property was taken. Despite enduring these tremendous hardships, my family was able to survive and make it to the USA to rebuild our lives again. These challenges helped shape our character and teach us valuable lessons and insights about life. I learned from this experience that you can use a tragedy to improve your life, and shift from feeling like a victim to being a victor.

4. Community service: Explain what you have done to make your community a better place to live. Give examples of specific projects in which you have been involved over time.

I have been working with the East African Community Center which serves as a central hub for resettlement assistance, social services, adult education, youth programming, and civic engagement for the Somali Community in the Seattle Area. My primary task at the center was to provide mentorship and counseling to the Somali youth who today face many challenges as a new immigrant in the United States. The Center has worked with youth coming from many backgrounds. Using our unique experiences and innovative educational opportunities, we have developed programs and curricula based on goal-setting, career exploration that integrates meaningful community services and involvement.

Home / Undergraduate / Insight Resume (Written Experiential Assessment)